Turned engine off when in gear >

Turned engine off when in gear

Notices

Turned engine off when in gear

Old 06-14-2005, 10:01 AM
Registered

Received 30 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Turned engine off when in gear

I have two questions. I have a 05 288 Sunsation with the 496 ho. Two times on Sunday I accidentally shut the engine off when it was in drive. I was told never to shift unless the engine was running. Did I do damage to the transmission ?

My second question deals with the water temperature. I was backing the boat off of my jet dock (the boat was stuck) and the water temperature was climbing to 190. When I got the boat into the water the temp went back to 165. I am concerned the outdrive was not far enough into the water(I was told it was) and I damaged the impeller in the outdrive for the water pickup. Is there a way to inspect the impeller?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:14 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts
Default Re: Turned engine off when in gear

Impeller wise to inspect it you would need to pull it out of the pump. If you have water flow out of you exhaust then you should be OK.....190 is not all that bad....my old scarab used to run consistently at 180 without any issues.....if it got upward of 200 or 220 then i would rip it open no questions asked.

As for the shifting part.....It is possible to shift the drive in and out of gear when its not running......i think they tell you not to do so, cause sometimes its hard to get the drive into gear and people will try and force things. Thats when cables stretch and shift forks break! If you just turned the boat off while in gear i wouldn't worry about it....like in a car its easy to go from being in a gear to neutral then the other way around

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 06-14-2005, 06:17 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by waterman
I have two questions. I have a 05 288 Sunsation with the 496 ho. Two times on Sunday I accidentally shut the engine off when it was in drive. I was told never to shift unless the engine was running. Did I do damage to the transmission ?

My second question deals with the water temperature. I was backing the boat off of my jet dock (the boat was stuck) and the water temperature was climbing to 190. When I got the boat into the water the temp went back to 165. I am concerned the outdrive was not far enough into the water(I was told it was) and I damaged the impeller in the outdrive for the water pickup. Is there a way to inspect the impeller?

Any help would be appreciated.

I shut my motors down all the time in gear ....Slow learner I just ease em back to neutral ... if your running 165 and that is normal temp I would let it slide ....might pick up an impeller to have in the boat ....
Old 06-15-2005, 03:50 PM
BBB
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you went to 190 I do not believe you had water going through the heat exchangers, the 496 sea pump impeller dose not like to run dry. ask me how I know. I would change out the sea pump impeller. 30 bucks or so, cheap insurance for a 12,000.00 engine.
Old 06-15-2005, 05:02 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

Your not going to hurt the drive.

The worst thing that could happen would
be shift cable damage.

If it come out of gear easily... no worries.

I'm with BBB on the sea pump issue.
Old 06-15-2005, 08:39 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you were trying to back the boat off the lift you may have been sucking some air into the pump from the prop wash. Your engine does not have an impellor in the drive, it is mounted on the engine.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails Turned engine off when in gear-raw-water.jpg  
Old 06-16-2005, 09:07 AM
Registered

Received 30 Likes on 12 Posts

As usual, thanks to everyone who has responded. I hope someday I can give some valuable input.

Is the impeller easy to change? I am mechanically inclined and would like to change the impeller. I dont have a problem paying the dealer to do the work but they are 170 miles from where my boat is.

Once again, thanks for the help.