Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
How the heck do you run motors on hose when it sucks the hose and collapses it?? >

How the heck do you run motors on hose when it sucks the hose and collapses it??

Notices

How the heck do you run motors on hose when it sucks the hose and collapses it??

Old 06-20-2005, 08:03 AM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How the heck do you run motors on hose when it sucks the hose and collapses it??

Sounds like you might have low water pressure at the tap. Are you on a well or city water ??

You need to have at least 50 psi at the tap otherwise you cannot deliver enough water volume. At my old house I was on a shared well and if I tried to run when a few other people were using water it would collapse the hose. Get a pressure gauge from home depot or lowes and check it at the tap.

Good luck
Old 06-20-2005, 08:08 AM
Registered

Default Re: How the heck do you run motors on hose when it sucks the hose and collapses it??

Originally Posted by Bigwavz
Sounds like you might have low water pressure at the tap. Are you on a well or city water ??

You need to have at least 50 psi at the tap otherwise you cannot deliver enough water volume. At my old house I was on a shared well and if I tried to run when a few other people were using water it would collapse the hose. Get a pressure gauge from home depot or lowes and check it at the tap.

Good luck
City ... I'll check pressure at the tap BigW. When (if) it comes up lower than 50psi what's next step to getting the pressure up? Major or minor project
Old 06-20-2005, 08:10 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

Make sure the pump can suck air at the same time as its getting water. Thsi means dont duck tape the hose to the pickup hose!! I saw a neighbor do that and same thing kept happening to his hose collapsing......just place the hose inside the pickup hose.....when you turn the water supply on you should have a fountain of water pissing inside you bilge till you turn the engine on....

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 06-20-2005, 09:58 AM
Registered

Hey Wally ... I've got fresh water flush kits inside the bildge ... close raw water valve and then open quick connects to the fresh water flush system
Attached Thumbnails How the heck do you run motors on hose when it sucks the hose and collapses it??-fresh-water-flush.jpg  
Old 06-20-2005, 10:39 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Open the quick connect vales....hook up hose.....and then only partially close the raw water valves to let air in the system......youll probably either have someone there to play witht he vale till you get a good position or trial and error.....I think on my buddy's 28 cig with the hull pickups they dont even bother closing the raw water valves at all......

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 06-20-2005, 10:41 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Also....i dont know what kind of quick connect you have on your setup...but they may be too small to suply enough water.....on the 28 cig i mentioned above they have garden hose ends on the water flush valves.....just thread the garden hose on the end and your good to go

Old 06-20-2005, 10:43 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by njgr8ful
When I try and run my motors to flush each time in the friggen hose collapses down to a flat pancake?!?! I am very afraid to run like this. Is there any remedy that other folks have figured out?? A 'SUPER' hose or??? I bought the 'best' most expensive hose at the garden center and still sucks it dry ... HELP! TIA
Go to commercial supply house and buy a commercial grade water hose. It won't collapse. Got mine from Sears Hardware, bout 3 x price of regular plastic garden hose.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:11 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by WILDTHING TAZ
Run A Hose From 2 Seperate Hose Out Lets Into A Y And Into A 3/4 Id Full Flow Hose And You Can Run To Approx 15-1800 Rpm. If Your On A Well It will Not Work You Must Be On City Water.

I dissagree too Taz ...on a well with pump ...werks fine ... course it is a 1.5hp pump@60lbs ....4" flowing well .....

But ....then again most people have a 1/2 to 3/4 HP and with that you could get into problems esp if you raise the RPMs ...which is not advised on a hose ....
Old 06-20-2005, 05:02 PM
VIP Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.americangranby.com/PDFS/S02P019.PDF
Old 06-21-2005, 12:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by CMG
maybe its the 5500 rpms ??????

LOL I too have a well, and still works ok for me..

Quick Reply: How the heck do you run motors on hose when it sucks the hose and collapses it??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.