1600 HP Pump Gas Procharged motor >

1600 HP Pump Gas Procharged motor

Notices

1600 HP Pump Gas Procharged motor

Old 06-22-2005, 09:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 1600 HP Pump Gas Procharged motor

In a boat I have had 2 main problems, first being fuel mixture. After 1st year with procharger & dual carbs I gave up & went with EFI because I got tired of fighting tryiing to get jetting correct at all 3 spots, getting on plane (2000 rpm's) mid range (3500rpm) & top end 5800-5900 rpm). Second year with procharger went EFI, eliminated problems with A/F ratio but got to see my second problem, manifold air temp. With procharger intercooler I was over 140, now with the rtech we have reduced temp somewhere around 20+ degrees. Steve says his under carb temp is 59 degrees I see no way getting close to that in a boat motor, at least down here is Texas where water temps are mid 80's. with air temps in the 90's
Old 06-22-2005, 09:27 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

Steve, you can make 1400 with the stock M-5 intercooler. What heads were you running on that 1695 hp motor?
Old 06-23-2005, 12:56 AM
Registered

Steve, nice hint Nothing like having the lake artificially increase the octane
Old 06-23-2005, 01:58 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by CNC
Steve Morris here.
CNC told me of the post and let me come on under his ID

Over a year ago is when we shot the ESPN show and at that time 1050 is the number we thought was right. In the show i turned up the blower and made the 1350. {lots of editing you don't see} I work on, and destroyed that same engine over the next 6 months and Have made 1695 with a custom Dominator and 1685 on a 850. Those numbers are on prochargers web site. We were using a F2
A F2 is capable of that much air seeing as procharger under rates them some and you can also turn them faster than the advertize.
Tom Cat is right on the money with his numbers and has a good looking piece he sells.
The key is in the intercooler at 1600 plus my under carb temp was 59 degrees.
Also we are working on and will make [Lord willing] 2000 hp on 93 it will be VP 93 but still 93 octane. Not only this but we plan on running this in my Drag Radial 93 impala wagon for the Drag week deal that hot rod mag is putting on. We plan on driving this car around 1000 miles or so in 5 days and racing it every night.

This is not a boat engine. i know there is 1400 that can be made with tom cats intercooler or i beleive with the one that will be on CNC's boat but for now that is it.

I warranty my boat engines up to 1200 hp and limited on 1400's

2 things to think about.
The needle and seat is the problem!
Your in the water, not all of it has to go thru a intercooler!
These are the secrets to 2000 HP

God Bless
Steve Morris
Needle and seat is the problem and this is why we run solenoids that are boost referenced that deliver fuel straight to the bowl.
As far as water injection just have to filter the water to the pump.
The bottom line is CFM that is efficient, a way to cool this CFM, and a way to deliver fuel to go with it.
Pump gas or not you just have to figure out how to control the explosion that may be catastrophic to your engine or you wallet.
Old 06-23-2005, 07:01 AM
CNC
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Steve Here.

Can't do 1400 with prochargers intercooler without water injection in a safe form. Nobody is right got to controll whats going on inside the combustion chamber.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:02 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts

Steve: Welcome to the Board! I look forward to talking some more as we make progress towards the ideal centrifugally supercharged boat engine. GPM is a fellow Procharger "star", his boat is in the Procharger Marine brochure boasting 1372 HP. Like you he's gone beyond that now.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:17 AM
Registered

I saw a 522" BBC alcohol intercooled twin turbo motor with Big Dukes flowing 498 on the flow bench, this past weekend in a 68 Camaro. It had a tricked out Dominator, no needle and seat, only an electric eye in the fuel bowls. They said when the bowls started to empty the electric eye sensed and immediately filled the bowls. The bowls on this thing were massive, twice what a normal Dominator bowl size. The car was dynoed on a chassis dyno and @28 lbs of boost it made 1800 RWHP with the tires smoking. They said someone did some calcuations involving RPM vs wheel slippage and torque converter and claim this motor was making around 2700 hp at the crank. Now figuring the airflow at 500 cfm for the heads and then the airflow at 28 lbs of boost, I would gather that would be massive. Tomcat can you chime in on this, is this bull**** or realistically possible.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:19 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have been building our full bore race car engines around Prochargers for more than 7 years now as well as big inch small block chevy pump gas street engines with 800 +hp on smaller Prochargers.

We make 1700+hp with our full race 500ci D3 Procharger 16 nossil Kinsler mechanical injection on Alcy thats 6 seconds @ 5000 to 8000 rpm power band and that's on a Pontiac stroker motor with heads that only flow 360 cfms on the intake side, imagine what a big block chevy would do with a set of big chiefs or what ever.

All it takes is tons of R & D time with what ever high hp set up, as the centrifigal blower manufactures still are not very helpfull on the big power applications.

Our injection guy's have a much better handle on these applications than the blower salesmen/ tecks.

Sounds like this 1600hp pump gas engine builder is on to something, with efi," not carbed" & Procharger I believe this would be a great niche for boat builders!

On our boat we still run stock B& M 420s @ 800hp with carbs @ 5600rpms, simple reliable power right off idle.
Attached Thumbnails 1600 HP Pump Gas Procharged motor-dec08-06.jpg   1600 HP Pump Gas Procharged motor-dec08-01.jpg  
Old 06-23-2005, 09:23 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by jspeeddemon
I saw a 522" BBC alcohol intercooled twin turbo motor with Big Dukes flowing 498 on the flow bench, this past weekend in a 68 Camaro. It had a tricked out Dominator, no needle and seat, only an electric eye in the fuel bowls. They said when the bowls started to empty the electric eye sensed and immediately filled the bowls. The bowls on this thing were massive, twice what a normal Dominator bowl size. The car was dynoed on a chassis dyno and @28 lbs of boost it made 1800 RWHP with the tires smoking. They said someone did some calcuations involving RPM vs wheel slippage and torque converter and claim this motor was making around 2700 hp at the crank. Now figuring the airflow at 500 cfm for the heads and then the airflow at 28 lbs of boost, I would gather that would be massive. Tomcat can you chime in on this, is this bull**** or realistically possible.
This SEEING eye has been out for a while and is made by Aeromotive. I personally would have to hear some success stories before I would use it. The size of the bowls won't help you in a boat, the big bowls would only be for drag.
Old 06-23-2005, 11:18 AM
Registered

Here is another question for you Tom. With your rtech right now on my motor I am limited by height. (already in trouble cutting into hatch to raise up 1/2"). In order to put a bigger intercooler in we would either have to go higher (would have to get rid of wife) or remote mount the intercooler. In remote mounting how much bigger intercooler would you have to have to compensate for the extra plumbing?

Quick Reply: 1600 HP Pump Gas Procharged motor

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.