Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
How long did you wait for your custom motors? >

How long did you wait for your custom motors?

Notices

How long did you wait for your custom motors?

Old 06-29-2005, 09:56 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How long did you wait for your custom motors?

A big difference in time is if the builder you use keeps parts in stock. Cranks, heads, pistons, blocks, and oil pans ( I know because we are 8 weeks out right now) can take along time. Especially if you order in the prime of the season. If a builder has the stuff in stock you should pay a little more for the parts because he/she has invested in that inventory dollar. If you want to save money then you can shop around but just understand that it will add to your wait.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:42 AM
Registered

Dropped of EVERYTHING in mid-March. Still don't have it, but it's next to dyno. The guy is local, has a complete machine shop, two different dynos, and would spec, balance, assemble and dyno, my combination of parts, rather than us debate each piece I chose. My custom motor was MY CUSTOM MOTOR; not his. So, he don't build crate motors for quick sale; or carry a lot of parts, but he WOULD do what I was looking for.

But, I don't car race, and it seems I'm just fill in work; two weeks has stretched to 14.

KAAMA, keep telling the story. People should know what they're up against.

ICHORNET, don't be such a drama queen. Ask questions or reply without sarcasm, condescension, dismissiveness, or just plain starting stuff; or pull up anchor.
Old 06-29-2005, 12:10 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by lchornet
Gee, you would think that I asked for your first born, instead of asking you a total of 2 questions, about your crank trigger, and the time frame. As far as aking questions on OSO, yes, I do. If I don't understand something, or if something sounds strange to me, I ask about it. If I disagree on something I say so. I didn't know that was against the rules. As far as who I am, what does that have to do with anything? There are thousands of people on here that we know nothing about. Just because you want to share your personal infomation with the board is great. I don't care to do any more than tell you I live in Lake Luzerne, NY

Like I said, I wasn't asking for your first born. This thread is titled "How long for custom motors". I thought a year was a bit much, and I asked why it took that long. I don't see any reason for you to be so sarcastic in your remarks, due to a simple question. If you didn't want a question asked, maybe you should not have posted in this thread.
And like I said, I felt I have intially tried being straight in my answers to you before, but it doesn't seem to work for you. For the reasons I gave previously in another post you just don't past the smell test with me----I am highly suspect of you by THE WAY you ask your questions, and make your comments. I already told you who I think you are and you still haven't told us who you are.

By the way lc, I am running Holley 950cfm carbs, Crane ignition boxs, Scott plug wires, and NGK spark plugs, but I might change the plugs to a different brand-----hope that's okay with you!

Oh....and I am going to attempt to put my boat in the water for the first time of the season hopefully by the end of this week, but if I don't, and there is some sort of delay maybe I should call you, and report to you as to why it didn't happen.

To the rest of you guys reading this---sorry for venting on here. I just have had enough of this guy.
Old 06-29-2005, 05:05 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: How long did you wait for your custom motors?

I know we have had some problems getting parts for our 496's and some of the problems just come from small parts suppliers who get to many orders and not enough raw materials or parts to keep up with demand. All engine builders have to spend too much time on the phone chasing details, but the big things are easy the work is in the details.
We have just finished three of our NEW HO600-496 motors and we started and completed in about six weeks on all three, but is was a challange! Two of these babies are what our customer is putting in his brand new 30 foot Shockwave. We call them the "Purple Monstas"!! They did a very respectable job on the dyno. 607HP at 5100rpms and 640 ft/lbs of torque at 4200rpms, with the torque averaging over 600 ft/lbs between 2500 and 5100 rpms. Kinda like a diesel except the torque stays flat to 5100. The HP was still climbing at a steep rate at 5100, so we know they will probably make over 625HP@ 5400 when we turn up the rev-limit on the ECM. We were using the stock ECM here with our new piggy back reprogrammer to recalibrate fuel and spark needs. works llike a champ. Think about it, a 600HP+ 496 EFI only engine that idles at 650 rpms and still has all the Mercury "guardian" features. The 496 is lookin Betta!!
Some shots attached!
Ray @ Raylar
Attached Thumbnails How long did you wait for your custom motors?-blane-2.jpg   How long did you wait for your custom motors?-blane-3.jpg   How long did you wait for your custom motors?-blane-4.jpg  

Old 06-29-2005, 11:27 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts
Thumbs up Re: How long did you wait for your custom motors?

Originally Posted by Raylar
They did a very respectable job on the dyno. 607HP at 5100rpms and 640 ft/lbs of torque at 4200rpms, with the torque averaging over 600 ft/lbs between 2500 and 5100 rpms. Kinda like a diesel except the torque stays flat to 5100. The HP was still climbing at a steep rate at 5100, so we know they will probably make over 625HP@ 5400 when we turn up the rev-limit on the ECM. We were using the stock ECM here with our new piggy back reprogrammer to recalibrate fuel and spark needs. works llike a champ. Think about it, a 600HP+ 496 EFI only engine that idles at 650 rpms and still has all the Mercury "guardian" features. The 496 is lookin Betta!!
Some shots attached!
Ray @ Raylar
Those engines look sharp Ray. I like how your testing results turned out, and the part about the 650rpm idle---sounds smooth. Is that in gear or in neutral? I think there is a shop in the area that is doing some mods on a 496ho with your upgrade parts/mods. Should be interesting to see the results.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:18 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[ I think you protest too much? You keep asking me who I am, and what do I have to hide. I don't have anything to hide. But by the way you are replying, it seems that you do.

Please stop pissing all over my thread.

I wouldn't do that to you

(and before you start crying about Kaama again, at least he contributed something here)
Old 06-30-2005, 12:20 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Raylar
They did a very respectable job on the dyno. 607HP at 5100rpms and 640 ft/lbs of torque at 4200rpms, with the torque averaging over 600 ft/lbs between 2500 and 5100 rpms. Think about it, a 600HP+ 496 EFI only engine that idles at 650 rpms and still has all the Mercury "guardian" features.

I love that.

So what do a set of these bad boys cost, approximately, (if you don't mind my askin)?
Old 06-30-2005, 08:57 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Smile Re: How long did you wait for your custom motors?

The 650 rpm idle is in gear of course, the only one that counts. Thses bad boys have the forged cranks, our new Mahle forged pistons and H-beam billet rods with our 106 kit. These went for about 14K each complete less accessories, not bad for "Purple Motors."

Dregz: I hope we are not pissing on your thread, we were just trying to talk custom engines and build time. I think the thread got some real "interesting " comments on those subjects. Great Thread!

Ray @ Raylar
Old 06-30-2005, 05:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Stingray69

KAAMA, keep telling the story. People should know what they're up against.

ICHORNET, don't be such a drama queen. Ask questions or reply without sarcasm, condescension, dismissiveness, or just plain starting stuff; or pull up anchor.

Firing it up on the dyno Friday.

And quit deleting my posts about how you two NUMBER guys are mean and rude at YOUR empty website. I just asked that you be civilized ONE DAY...OH, and PULL ANCHOR; EVERYBODY SEE'S THROUGH IT!

Nobody likes problem-causing, phsyco-pathic, WEBSITE TROLLS!
Old 06-30-2005, 06:13 PM
Registered

Nobody likes problem-causing, phsyco-pathic, WEBSITE TROLLS![/QUOTE]

Ignore the trolls, maybe they will go away

Quick Reply: How long did you wait for your custom motors?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.