Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Strange noise coming from trailer??? Help!! >

Strange noise coming from trailer??? Help!!

Notices

Strange noise coming from trailer??? Help!!

Old 06-27-2005, 07:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Strange noise coming from trailer??? Help!!

Have a triaxle manning with drum brakes. Coming home yesterday, I had an occassional sound coming from the trailer that sounded like chain dragging. I pulled over and checked all my chains, nothing touching the ground. Again, sound came and went. Not the safety chains banging together as I wrapped them in rags to eliminate any noise from them. I checked the leaf springs and everything looks good. Just pulled the port side wheels and the brake components all look good. Again, sounds like chain dragging and would come and go....

Any ideas what the hell this might be??? I'm baffled!!! Going to pull other side wheels and check brakes there as well...

Any thoughts would be appreciated!!!! Thanks!!!!
Old 06-27-2005, 09:08 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts
Default Re: Strange noise coming from trailer??? Help!!

I had some strange noise from my Eagle years ago......turns out it was the brake lines hitting the frame of the trailer.......it drove me nuts as the lines are inside the frame of the trailer and i couldnt figure it out. What i did to solve it was go to Boatus and in the sailing gear section thay have plastic tubes split down the center to wrap cables with...i just slid that over the brake line and into the frame and no more noise.
If thats not it then i am stumped too....the only other thing i would think of is if any hardware came loose inside the brake assmebly in the wheel.???

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 06-27-2005, 09:20 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Strange noise coming from trailer??? Help!!

Thanks wally, I'll check the brake lines. I just got done pulling the last of the wheels and everything looks good inside the brakes... well, maybe a little too much overgreasing.... other than that, everything is intact!!! I checked the bolts on all the bunks, rechecked the leaf springs.... damm this has me puzzled.... I'll be sure to secure any brake lines with some tubing as you said... I know my runs inside then comes out and across the axles..... really strange noise, just started... thought for sure I'd find something inside the brake assembly.....

Thanks again for your thoughts.... I know I have tubing around here, I'm going to cover it all just to eliminate it, just like I did with the chains....