Boat Refrigerator, how cold??? >

Boat Refrigerator, how cold???

Notices

Boat Refrigerator, how cold???

Old 06-27-2005, 08:30 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Boat Refrigerator, how cold???

I just installed a new waeco refrigerator in my boat and my buddy has a norcold, both same size, about 2 cubic foot.

The freezer measures just below freezing and gets iced up a little bit, but the frig section belew only gets down to about 55 degrees. Both frigs operated like this on the maximum setting.

Is this normal??? I have to put the water and beers in the freezer section to get them cold like I like them? Anyone else using a frig that keeps stuff really cold?

I thought this thing would work like my home frig??

I have a frig in my truck, a portable norcold compressor unit and it just about freezes anything I put in it....
Old 06-27-2005, 08:34 AM
Registered

Default Re: Boat Refrigerator, how cold???

My Norcold works the same way. anything you want ice cold, keep in the freezer part. I usually just keep the drinks on ice in the cooler, and just use the frige if i am bringing food for the weekend.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:23 AM
Registered

Dammed things cost a fortune and that's all we get.... dammm!!!!! I was thinking of putting a little computer muffin fan inside to move some of the cold air around, I'll have to test with a battery operated one before I go running a 12v line through the thing..... if there was any possilbe way of betting behind it, insulating it better would probably help as well, but THAT ain't happening!!!!

Thanks HP2K!!!
Old 06-27-2005, 04:27 PM
Registered

When I kept boat in water and left refrgi running all the time it would finally cool stuff down on the lower part.

For the weekend I just use a cooler and forget about the regrig--it uses a lot of power on 12 volts and it takes to loong to cool down to run genset for whqat little you get in return.

I'm sure a big part of the proble is lack of venting around the thing.
Old 06-27-2005, 05:10 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you are on to something with the 12v fan. Get a very small one. I generally keep a bag of ice in my Norcold and everything stays very cold and the ice will last a day before it starts to melt. Just double bag it or throw some frozen milk jugs in there. The refer runs about half as much this way as well. When we go for the week we freeze all the steaks etc. before loading and thaw as needed.
Old 06-27-2005, 06:07 PM
Registered

look at camping supply stores they have a lil battery operated fan made for this purpose.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:38 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a frig in my 88 Checkmate.. actually still have the frig.. but I remember it getting pretty cold.. Not sure. It is 12v and 120v AC. Maybe I should go buy some beer and plug the thing in and see what happens. Would sell it, if someone was interested..

Dick
Old 06-28-2005, 04:36 AM
Registered

I'm going to check out that little battery operated fan and see how it works... Also, we haven't had it filled up yet, we're going on a 4 day trip this weekend and staying on the boat so we'll be packing it, I'll see how well it works loaded up.

The one I have in my truck is a top load norcold, Chris Craft use to use them in their boats, the top of the frig was sort of like part of the counter top... and it works great!!!! I will say it uses a lot more battery though than this new one I put in the boat which is the normal looking little frig with a front door.

Thanks everyone!!!
Old 07-06-2005, 11:35 PM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I just stumbled on this while looking for something else. My Norcold keeps my beer very cold I have no complaints. I keep the boat covered and the cabin door closed when I'm away the fridge is left in the 110v mode and I always have a cold beer when I get to the boat!
When we go out I switch to 12vdc and it seems to keep up fine.
Old 07-07-2005, 04:11 AM
Registered

My freezer works great, no issue with keeping things frozen in it. The frig section though just doesn't get that cold. I tried the little frig fans they sell and had little success with it. I did notice that the cabinet on top of the frig area gets very warm from the heat coming off the frig compressor unit. I'm thinking I have a venting issue in the compartment where the frig is mounted. I notice the norcolds have a vent going across the top of the unit for ventilating the compartment, the brand I have does not have this. I'm going to see about putting a vent in somewhere and maybe a small 12v fan in the comparment to exhaust the hot air.

Quick Reply: Boat Refrigerator, how cold???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.