oil pressure problems from stock hardware >

oil pressure problems from stock hardware

Notices

oil pressure problems from stock hardware

Old 06-29-2005, 07:52 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: oil pressure problems from stock hardware

Good info Smitty. I would add a suggestion that engines above 500hp use a 3 x 18 oil cooler. However, these coolers have enough cooling capacity that your oil won't warm up if you're just cruising around. So you also need an oil thermostat and oil temp guage also. Especially up here in the north country. I have had 2 friends spin bearings early in the season from running hard with cold oil. It can also cause nasty condensation problems.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:03 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Good info here Smitty,
On my gen 4 motor I plugged the bypass in the remote filter adapter and drilled out the oil passages both there and in the remote filter pad for better flow.

Braided line or pushfit line fittings are available with radiused 90* fittings that flow much better than the hard 90* fittings and are intended for oil lines. Cost a lot more though.

As far as braided line goes, it looks good but after a few years it starts to fray and is painfull to work around. I plan on replacing most of mine with pushfit lines and fittings over the next year.

My experience with oil coolers and after market 600hp is that a large cooler such as Teagues 4" offshore cooler is needed in the south with our high summer water temps. That was my 3rd cooler BTW.

I measure oil temp in the pan before the cooler. I know some measure after the cooler but I dont see the point in that.
Old 06-29-2005, 12:17 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That brings up another question. I have 502mpi with a whipplecharger. Live in Texas on the gul coast. We average 90 plus on daily basis. I know the water temp is also warm. What is safe oil temp for an engine in this enviroment?

Thanks
Old 06-29-2005, 12:39 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 29scarab
That brings up another question. I have 502mpi with a whipplecharger. Live in Texas on the gul coast. We average 90 plus on daily basis. I know the water temp is also warm. What is safe oil temp for an engine in this enviroment?

Thanks
I think most would agree that 280* is too much for a non-synthetic oil. I assume that you are measuring oil pan temps.

250*/260* is where I get to after a hard run with 160* water temp. I am running Mobil-1 v-twin 20/50 at 50 hour changes (see Hydrocruisers oil thread). Mobil-1 15w50 is a good choice also. 280* wont hurt a good quality synthetic with say 25 hour changes. But 230*-240* would be more of an ideal temp.

if you are measuring oil temp after the cooler, then your actual temp is 25* to 50* higher and you are pushing your luck IMO.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:44 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 798 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by PatriYacht
Good info Smitty. I would add a suggestion that engines above 500hp use a 3 x 18 oil cooler. However, these coolers have enough cooling capacity that your oil won't warm up if you're just cruising around. So you also need an oil thermostat and oil temp guage also. Especially up here in the north country. I have had 2 friends spin bearings early in the season from running hard with cold oil. It can also cause nasty condensation problems.
The oil cooler I'm running came from cpperformance and it has a thermostatic bypass tube built on the side of it. I don't have a oil temp gauge but ive always had good pressure since upgrading the original gen 6 and also with my current mk4 but i still haven't ran it this year (still waiting on tailpipes),might be a different story with the extra 200 plus hp i have over last year,Smitty
Old 06-29-2005, 04:45 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up Re: oil pressure problems from stock hardware

Hey Smitty:

Excellent job and great pictures that will save a lot of people some real headaches and dollars with their oil systems. this is exactly the kind of information and assistance that considerate sharing members like you can do for the other forum readers. I salute your contribution. Well done, Kudos!!

Ray @ Raylar
The following users liked this post:
I'CE (08-04-2020)
Old 06-30-2005, 09:58 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Now if we could get Admin to keep this thread near the top.....
Old 06-30-2005, 05:51 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Wobble
Now if we could get Admin to keep this thread near the top.....
I have had several phone conversations with a couple of members who have oil press problems and the hardest point to get thru is the stock stuff is just pure and simply too small and restrictive. Adding a big oil cooler is great but if oil can't make it out of block it won't help!Smitty
Old 07-01-2005, 06:31 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by articfriends
Last,run a high quality,high flow oil filter. I run a K&N high flow filter or a fram hp series race filter. The flow ratings of these filter exceeds what the oil system can flow so it should never be a restriction. I mounted mine so i can put a coffee can under neath it when changing oil so oil doesn't run everywhere.You can see it to the right in the picture. I hope this info helps some of you guys out there that are struggling with oil pressure issues. If i left anything out feel free to add it,Smitty
Ive seen a zillion part #'s flying around for oil filters on this board,I stick with K&N 6002(its extra,extra long),has550psi burst strength,filters down to 10 microns,has anti-drainback valve,built in bypass valve (which with all the surface area should never open),flows 12-14gpm and if you were real anal you could safety wire it,it has provisions.If you don't have room the 3002 fits where any ac-35 style filter will,Smitty
Attached Thumbnails oil pressure problems from stock hardware-oil-lines-005.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
I'CE (08-04-2020)
Old 07-01-2005, 06:32 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

One more pic-stock,K&N-3002,K&N6002
Attached Thumbnails oil pressure problems from stock hardware-oil-lines-006.jpg  

Quick Reply: oil pressure problems from stock hardware

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.