Need help Bravo 1 stuck in down position

Notices

Need help Bravo 1 stuck in down position

Old 06-30-2005, 08:54 PM
Charter Member#1205
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help Bravo 1 stuck in down position

Hi I'm stuck in my driveway. I have a 29 scarab 1988 with a 502 inside. I have not taken it out for 2 seasons but now is the time. It was winterized to the limit by factory shop.
I went to raise the bravo at the switches in the steering wheel and they raise it alittle but then it hits a limit of some kind and stops, it will lower no problem but will not come up high enough(so it can be towed).
I went to the drive itself and rotated the port and starboard limit switchs located at the top of the drive itself, but that does nothing. I'm by myself so its difficult to jump up and down to the cockpit.
Is there a way in the engine compartment to bypass this problem at the drive mechanical area where the fluid is kept.
Please help if you caN.
Thanks.
Terry in reno,nv where its too hot!
Old 06-30-2005, 10:57 PM
Registered

Default Re: Need help Bravo 1 stuck in down position

It is possible that after sitting for a while some connections are corroded.
Clean all wire connections and pay extra attention to the grounds. Been caught out on this one before.
Cheers.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:19 PM
Registered

Default Re: Need help Bravo 1 stuck in down position

I assume you dont have a trailer up switch if you disconect the limit switch and plug the wires together it will over ride the switch it will let you trim to much while running so be careful
Old 07-03-2005, 10:58 PM
Charter Member#1205
Charter Member

Default Thanks to all for the help,offshoreonly rocks!!!!!

Thanks for all the help! I didn't have enough light to see the trailer up switch, so the next morning, I found the switch and the drive came up!

Then after sitting 2 years in a vinyl building in extreme snow and heat in the mountains above Reno, I prepared to start the Scarab. Two years ago I had a little used 502 installed in the boat and had it professionally winterized. Well I bought a new battery and checked all the fluids and they all checked out well.
I turned it over and it wanted to start but just couldn't. I grabbed some starting fluid and sprayed a very little in the air intake of the EFI unit.
Went back to the key and turned it over to a great success!!!! It fired up and when I went over the side to check the water flow out the exhaust it was just pushing out the balance of the antifreeze that kept everything together. I ran it for 10 minutes with a special bravo set of ears over the intake and it ran fantastic with no leaks and great gauge readings all around!!!

I can't wait to take it out. I had to fly back to the bay area the next morning so I couldn't not take it out, but I will go up with my gang the first of august to run it for a weekend.

First of all I'd like to thank Offshoreonly for making newbies like myself have a venue to learn and ask questions about these big boats. I bought the 502 here, found all the parts for thru the transom conversion, had all my install questions answered and even sold my old 454 on these boards!
I was with this website when it got popular and have learned alot from the old masters here. Thanks to all and please keep helping the new guys, you forum regulars can really make a difference!
Terry Gardiner