Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
video of my 577's dyno pull, whats it worth? >

video of my 577's dyno pull, whats it worth?

Notices

video of my 577's dyno pull, whats it worth?

Old 07-06-2005, 07:48 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: video of my 577's dyno pull, whats it worth?

Originally Posted by ratman
thx laz any help woulld be great! i sent you a pm with the dyno #'s and bsfc #'s thanks for taking a look. ratman
Ratman
I saw those numbers and PM you some info that should get you close on the tune up your going to need to check your plugs and so on for the optimum performance but you will find they will run a ton better with my set up .Let me know how it goes Laz
Old 07-06-2005, 01:57 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$500 a day in my neck of the woods. That's dyno time only. If you have the shop due tuning then it is $60 an hour for 1 engine tuner plus parts.

Chris
Old 07-06-2005, 03:42 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My buddy likes $500 per day plus parts. Yours , without egts , is not worth as much. My buddy doesn't start to pull a motor till the oil temp is up to 140*. Yours was too quick to be up to operating temp
Old 07-07-2005, 10:32 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

ratman...

When I saw the guy in the video use a hammer and a screw driver to move the distributor vs loosening the distributor clamp with a wrench to properly adjust the distributor, that tells me the guy is in a hurry, is careless, plus no monitors for exhaust gas temps, etc. and it would make me wonder precisely how the engine was assembled, what actually components were in them and even if they were the cubic inches they claim---but hey that's just me----I'm a little gun shy after the con job I got.

Anyway, at least you saw your engines actually on the dyno. When I was told by Jack Bailey aka "Bobby Daniels" aka "Budah" in the North Carolina area that one of my engines was sitting on the dyno I asked him if he could send me a picture from his digital camera---and he got upset with me for asking! (BIG RED FLAG). Then he said my engines made 787hp @about 5800rpm or so and the other made something like 790+hp----I said; "Great!!! Let's see the dyno sheets!" I never even recieved a dyno sheet, ...never even got them in the boat and it's a good thing I didn't!!! We ended up having to completely disassemble both engines because of poor machine work, wrong parts, etc. With the extremely undersized cams that I found in the engines they wouldn't have made anything near that power anyway. When we removed the heads we found the head gaskets were too small for the cylinder bore size, and if they were properly dyno tested they would have blown or burnt the head gaskets---we also found water in the cylinders because of this. All Jack, and his sad help did was start the engines, and run them to make it look as if they were dyno tested. Keep in mind that this is a man who told me he was in charge of engine assembly for Hendrick's Motorsports, and said he once worked for Merc at Lake-X. I mention this periodically as a warning to others as I hate seeing people get conned/decieved. I had to find someone who I could really trust to correctly remachine, and assemble my engines the way they should have been in the first place. It cost me THOU$AND$ of $$$, a lot of time, and grief. Hopefully, you will find someone that is honest, and trustworthy as I have. I wish you the best.

Last edited by KAAMA; 07-07-2005 at 10:43 AM.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:55 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Well put KAAMA!!

Burns me up to here of dishonesty! Its not like what they did could be hidden from the naked eye. Once you pulled the motor apart it was blatant evidence speaking for itself.

I'm glad you have them back together. Let me know how they ran and turned out all together. I damn sure enjoyed the ride you gave me when I was up there.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:29 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

i built the engine my self. so i don't have worries there. but i did feel they gave much of a crap about mind. i specifically asked for them to adjust r=the lifters while the engine were running, it really pissed me of that they ran them hard so fast i know they were not warmed up yet. no attempt was made to balane the engines and on was using more fuel than the other! eack motor was on and off the dyno in an hour one was run 5 mins the other 8 mins. what do you think the dyno time was worth? keep in mind i left the dyno with no peace of mind what so ever. thx for your input, ratman
Old 07-07-2005, 09:05 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought Marks ( KAAMA ) old Pro 1's that were set up by the southern motor experts.
I do all of my own assembly so I tore them down to check on everything.
What I found was the valve springs were shimmed so much that I would have been in coil bind ( I told them how much lift the cam was producing)
They had half again more spring pressure than what the cam specs called for
Old 07-08-2005, 07:01 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Ratman, I would say the job wasn't done right, therefore I would be upset to give them anything. The job wasn't done correctly and they should eat it, but I guess if it was a MUST to give them something, then it would be no more than $50-$100 per engine. Just my .02
Old 07-08-2005, 10:32 AM
Registered

I wouldn't let that guy dyno my lawnmower engine!
Old 07-19-2005, 07:10 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

ttt...anybody else like to add thier .02 before i send this thread to the owner of the shop that ran my motors on the dyno. thx for your input, ratman

Quick Reply: video of my 577's dyno pull, whats it worth?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.