Help With 600 Sci !! >

Help With 600 Sci !!

Notices

Help With 600 Sci !!

Old 09-25-2008, 09:36 PM
Chris
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would contact Dustin directly... He has answers.

Chris
Old 09-25-2008, 10:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Thanks guys, today the mechanic switched the pickup from the nosecone to feed the motor directly. It picks up water from the four front holes and three bottom holes on the vertical sides. All others are plugged. The intercooler is being supplied from the external bottom through hull pickup. Both are run through strainers. This seems to be working. I have worked with Dustin on the phone and he has been very helpful. I have not done final testing with my boat but after his remap I have gained 5mph. The boat is a Howard Deck with a Mercury 600 sci. I don't have it loaded lightly. It has two batteries and a large stinger battery, two amps, subs, ice chests, two anchors, toys, and a bunch of other crap on the boat. The boat runs 87mph with a bravo 30 non labbed. 86 mph with a 28 labbed maximus five blade. I think it would run faster with 32 labbed. I don't think I will ever try it though...I have also added some additional resistance by adding the bottom pickup and I have oversized the four holes on the drive slightly to try and pick up more water. My mechanic says the boat is running in the mid 30s for water pressure now. Hopefully these intermittent warnings and guardian modes times are now over. Dustin, thanks for your help with my problem and the welcome addition of more power! I notice alot more torque than before.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:42 PM
Registered

Default Bingo-

Originally Posted by Whipple Charged
Listen to what DC said. I have no doubt you have debris or a block in the IC core or the oil cooler. I have a few things that will help this as well. Some water routing changes that will really help. Standard strainers do not filter the debris properly for the small water passages.
Agree- sounds like a clogged intercooler.

The charge temp air warning indicates a potential detonation condition and the 600sci will severely retard the the timing to keep your pistons alive.

Id say that what you need is a "sand strainer" on the inlet side of the intercooler.

Flush it out or if this is all is beyond me I assume you replaced the impeller already and inspected the water pump housing.

good luck-

Uncle Dave

Laveycraft 2750 Ilmor-710
Laveycraft 20.8 Sebring 406 SB
Fleetwood nitrous toy hauler
Yamaha raptor 700/Kawi KFX 450
Nissan Titan
Old 09-25-2008, 10:45 PM
Registered

Hope its fixed for good- !!

Id still get a sand strainer.

Uncle Dave

Nissan Titan
Old 09-26-2008, 11:28 PM
Chris
Gold Member

Dustin,

Does the power reduction mode start before or after the Guardian mode kicks in and slows the motor way down?? Ie, if the motor is not getting over 28-30psi, is the power gradually reduced? I feel that as I try to trim my IMCO SC drive out, much past parallel with the plane of the keel, that there is a sensation that as I give the motor more throttle.... nothing happens. I can give the motor full throttle or 3/4 throttle, and boat speed remains the same at about 5100 rpm. If I trim too far, it kicks into guardian mode, lights start flashing, buzzers start beeping, and it feels like the motor goes to half power.

Chris

Last edited by CB-BLR; 09-26-2008 at 11:44 PM.
Old 09-27-2008, 12:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
Hope its fixed for good- !!

Id still get a sand strainer.

Uncle Dave

Nissan Titan

I am looking into a sand strainer. The boat is running well. I appreciate all of the advice.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:46 PM
Chris
Gold Member

ttt ^ Dustin?
Old 09-30-2008, 04:23 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CB-BLR
Dustin,

Does the power reduction mode start before or after the Guardian mode kicks in and slows the motor way down?? Ie, if the motor is not getting over 28-30psi, is the power gradually reduced? I feel that as I try to trim my IMCO SC drive out, much past parallel with the plane of the keel, that there is a sensation that as I give the motor more throttle.... nothing happens. I can give the motor full throttle or 3/4 throttle, and boat speed remains the same at about 5100 rpm. If I trim too far, it kicks into guardian mode, lights start flashing, buzzers start beeping, and it feels like the motor goes to half power.

Chris
No, it activates the rev limit control and the buzzer beeps. Certainly going into reduced power when your hearing buzzer, which is directly related to water psi.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:12 PM
Chris
Gold Member

Dustin,

Thanks for the reply, and the considerable time you spent with me on the phone.

YOU ROCK!!

Chris
Old 09-30-2008, 11:55 PM
Registered

Dustin,

Thank you for the time you spent with me also on the phone. And thanks for the reprogram. I am certain to enjoy the extra 4 mph and increased torque. I am taking the boat out this weekend for some wringing out.

Quick Reply: Help With 600 Sci !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.