Notices

Cost of rebuilding a 502mpi with Whipple

Old 07-05-2005, 09:57 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cost of rebuilding a 502mpi with Whipple

Whats it going to cost this time??

Got the news the #4 Piston was broke. The under side of all the piston showed substantial amount of heat. Other words, the underside of the piston were black from heat. Said he thought the engine might have been a little lean, but all the pistons had a lot of carbon build up like it was burning rich to me. Said I had forged piston but they were thin and not suitable for the blower. The race shop recommends changing all the pistons out to blower pistons. The heads were redone by the race shop less than 5 months ago. Said they were fine.

Said the cam.lifters and rockers and pushrods were all good. Said he would like to put it on the dyno for a day two tune everything in with the Whipple. Said the dyno would 500 bucks for the day.

My question is? What should the cost to put the engine back together be? I know bearings,rings,gaskets, block cleaning etc..

Its at Owens racing in Pearland, Texas. He does good work and has been around for over 30 years.

Wondering how deep I will have to dig in my pockets.

Thanks,
Shawn