carb. selection >

carb. selection

Notices

carb. selection

Old 07-20-2005, 12:30 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
carb. selection

Have a '91 30 ft baja with twin 454's that was built to have approx. 475-500 hp each. Want to put new carbs on them but don't know for sure what I need. Currently they have 850 cfm 4150 holley's double pumpers. They are not marine type, one of the reasons I want to change plus just don't like holley's much.
Anyone know anything about the eldebrock performers? They only get as big as 750 cfm and don't know if thats large enough. Also what little I have read about them is they are supposed to be for dual plane type manifolds and I have high rise hp 500 single plane type,
weiand.
thanks for any help,
come boating on the tickfaw, home of tickfaw 200, and crazy charlie...winner of the real gilligans island reality show.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:42 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 904 Posts
Default Re: carb. selection

Send the ones you have to Nickerson for rebuild, dial in and marinizing.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:53 PM
Registered

Question Re: carb. selection

Who is nickerson? Have not heard of them. Can you give me more info on who to contact?
Thanks
Old 07-20-2005, 06:08 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool Re: carb. selection

Originally Posted by team Tickfaw
Who is nickerson? Have not heard of them. Can you give me more info on who to contact?
Thanks
Nickeson is a carb guru. I sent my Holley 850 to him and it came back just about bolt on perfect. Very little adjustment needed...very little.

I believe Nickerson's phone no. is 215-781-1370.

Just curious...why don't ya like Holley's ?
Old 07-20-2005, 08:01 PM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Nickerson would be a good option. Here are 2 Edelbrock 800cfm marine carbs that would work. 800 cfm would be about right.
Old 07-30-2005, 02:22 PM
Registered

Been out of town a few days and could not get back to the forum. So Payton, what do you mean about "here is 2 eldebrook 800's? Do you have a pair?
Don't really care for the holley because of experience with blown power valves and flooding. I guess really a preferance thing.
Old 07-30-2005, 06:05 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

demon carbs...but its hard to beat a holley. the others are spreadbore junk.
Old 07-31-2005, 08:22 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

I have seen Edlebrock marine carbs on Summit's website up to 800cfm. Right now I can't find them.

http://www.summitracing.com/
Old 08-04-2005, 08:56 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tam Tickfaw,

850's may actually be a little large for your engines, especially with the large intake manifolds. You'd probably do better with something in the 800 cfm range with annular boosters.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:11 AM
Registered

The Edelbrock "Thunder Series" are available in 800cfm with manual or electric choke. I'm sure I've seen them on Summit's website but not sure if they have a marine version. I've used Edelbrocks before and they are real easy to tune and work on because you can change metering rods easily to adjust jetting (for the primaries) and you can pull the whole top off the carb to change the jets without spilling a drop of fuel (try that with a Holley/Demon!).
These carbs are an improved version of the old tried and trued Carter AFB and they use an air valve, which senses airflow, to manage airflow through the secondaries (sort of like a vacuum sec. Holley does, but with a different mechanism).
The Thunder series has an adjustable air valve which is an added tuning benefit.
All told, it's a good all-around performance carb in my view and Edelbrock sells a relatively inexpensive tuning kit which includes some very straightforward instructions, jets and tuning rods, and accel. pump squirters etc..
The only problem I had with them was that because you have to pull the top off the carb for jetting, if you're not careful, you can easily strip the aluminum threads in the carb body. I'll bet that an 800cfm would work real good for your setup right out of the box with maybe only a metering rods change, if anything.
Having said that, my carb of preference for high performance applications is the Race Demon, because they have a carb for any application, that makes serious power, and just as importantly, they're the sexiest carbs on the market! Just my $0.02

Quick Reply: carb. selection

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.