496 sea pump impeller questions >

496 sea pump impeller questions

Notices

496 sea pump impeller questions

Old 07-20-2005, 07:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 496 sea pump impeller questions

How do you loosen the belt, or can you just slide the pump housing out and slide back into the belt when done?

Also, now that the water is out, do I need to grease the impeller or something for when I start it dry. Maybe this isn't a big deal since you are basically starting it dry when you start it for the first time in the spring.

-Craig
Old 07-20-2005, 08:30 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts
Default Re: 496 sea pump impeller questions

to get the belt off you need to loosen the tension pulley .....i think on the 496 its on the upper right hand side. But heres a pic of the pulley on a 500EFI engine....its the black pulley. Just loosen the center bolt a few turns and it will fall taking the tension off the belt. No need to remove the pulley.
I'm not sure what you mean about sliding the pump houseing back..... I know on the 500EFI theres no room to leave the pump inplace and just slide the impellor housing back because of the engine mount. You need to take the whole assembly off....besides it makes it easier to do the install with it out.
You can coat it with some grease if you like to keep it from running dry.......i usually use some dish soap. And a zip tie aroudn the impellor will help install the impellor when it comes time to put it in the housing.
Attached Thumbnails 496 sea pump impeller questions-dsc01860.jpg   496 sea pump impeller questions-dsc01875.jpg  

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 07-20-2005, 08:43 AM
Registered

Thanks for the reply.

My problem is I don't see how or which pulley to loosen on the 496. It almost looks like I could un bolt the pump housing and slide it up, then slide it back into the belt loop when I put it back on.

How does everyone do it on the 496?

-Craig
Old 07-20-2005, 09:27 AM
Registered

The altenator on the port side has a slider and adjustment bolt. The top bolt is the pivot bottom slides, hope this helps...
Old 07-20-2005, 10:05 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by FOUNTAINATLAST
The altenator on the port side has a slider and adjustment bolt. The top bolt is the pivot bottom slides, hope this helps...
Correct, you loosen and lower the alternator with the slider bolt to release tension on the belt, and again tighten/lift to take out the slack. First loosen the nut on the bolt with an open end wrench, then the alternator will slide down.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:58 AM
Registered

Thanks guys.

I just picked up the impeller and the guy said there is an idler pulley that you loosen. He didn't say anything about the alternator. Maybe I misunderstood him.

-Craig
Old 07-20-2005, 06:36 PM
Masher touches my
Gold Member

Alternator, most every other motor uses an idler pulley. You'll know when you see it if the alt. adjusts or not. On the 496 I believe you have to pretty much take the whole bracket that supports the pump off to get it out of there. You'll see, it's all nuts and bolts, dont be scared of it. Grease the impeller, make sure the pulley is turning clockwise when you put the pump back together. Mark your hoses so you know wich one goes on top and wich one goes on the bottom.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:07 AM
Registered

Two Trains Of Thought As To Greasing The Impeller, I Always Grease The Heck Of Of It With Some Merc 24c.

Merc School Says Just To Use Soap

Up To U

Also Make Sure When You Get It Apart That You Check For Grooves In The Housing!!!!

Joe
American Performance Marine
Apmboats.com
Old 07-21-2005, 08:06 AM
Registered

I was peeking at it last night. Yes the alternater serves as the belt tension adjustment...Looks like one of the bolts that attaches the pump housing bracket also holds the idler pulley bracket. Guess I have to slide it out from behinds that? Looks like 2 nuts hold the pump/bracket on?...Doesn't look too bad, I just don't have any room whatsoever in the engine compartment of my 270 Checkmate. It is tight. Maybe 3/4" space between the back of the seat and the serpentine belt. Very tight on each side of the motor as well. The floor of the compartment is very high on the motor also.

RE greas and soap. It makes sense to lube the impeller with something....but every spring when you start it for the first time, it is dry. Also Merc manual says to visually check it once a year, when you do that all the water drains out.

-Craig