MX 6.2 MPI (320-hp) torque

Notices

MX 6.2 MPI (320-hp) torque

Old 08-02-2005, 09:51 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MX 6.2 MPI (320-hp) torque

hi,

does anyone know what's the torque of these engines? there is nothing mentioned on the mercruiser website, i'm thinking of changing my 7.4L/310HP mercruisers to the 6.2L/320HP's i know the 6.2L are lighter but i'm woried about the torque and how it will affect the performance of my boat.

i have a 34 foot offshorer with twin 7.4L/310hp (1995) on bravo 1 drives

thanks
jack
Old 08-02-2005, 07:45 PM
Registered

Default Re: MX 6.2 MPI (320-hp) torque

What boat do you own? What is it's weight? I don't have your answer..... so going with a 34' V hull vintage for example... I know of people that went with the 6.2 in other types of boats and they don't perform like the 454 due to the lack of torque. Your saving weight, but the loss of torque doesn't balance things out. Now, if they had the 6.0 liter available, I think that would be a different story, unfortunately Merc isn't producing that motor yet. With your size boat, I'd recommend staying with big blocks 375hp or above.... again, thinking you have a 34' vhull... give us more details

Good luck!!!
Old 08-02-2005, 08:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by East Coast B
What boat do you own? What is it's weight? I don't have your answer..... so going with a 34' V hull vintage for example... I know of people that went with the 6.2 in other types of boats and they don't perform like the 454 due to the lack of torque. Your saving weight, but the loss of torque doesn't balance things out. Now, if they had the 6.0 liter available, I think that would be a different story, unfortunately Merc isn't producing that motor yet. With your size boat, I'd recommend staying with big blocks 375hp or above.... again, thinking you have a 34' vhull... give us more details

Good luck!!!
thanks for your reply, here are some more info about my boat;

deep v hull
nonstepped
italian made, wider than american manufactured boats
11500 pounds weight

thanks again
jack
Old 08-02-2005, 08:24 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

with that rig you need all the cubic inches you can afford!
Old 08-03-2005, 05:56 AM
Registered

That's a heavy boat for 34'!! What is the width of the boat? What speed are you getting with the current motors? What props and size are you running? What speeds are you looking to get with the new engine setup? Why are you looking to repower in the first place? Engine trouble? More speed? Fuel economy?

I agree, the more HP you can put in front of some good props, the better. Your going to want a lot of prop for planing that bad boy and lot's of torque. Then based on your answer to how fast you want to go will determine how much HP you should put in there.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:57 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by East Coast B
That's a heavy boat for 34'!! What is the width of the boat? What speed are you getting with the current motors? What props and size are you running? What speeds are you looking to get with the new engine setup? Why are you looking to repower in the first place? Engine trouble? More speed? Fuel economy?

I agree, the more HP you can put in front of some good props, the better. Your going to want a lot of prop for planing that bad boy and lot's of torque. Then based on your answer to how fast you want to go will determine how much HP you should put in there.
i dont have the width of the boat but approx i can tell you its about a 90 inches at the rear where the engines are.
with mirage 19p props i am getting 49mph@4400rpm

i am not looking for any particular speed and i would prefer stock non modified engines due to reliability and spare parts problems. not that i would not prefer more speed, thats why i wanted to know if the 6.2L are a worthy replacement for the 7.4L 310HP's which mercruiser claim to be.

i am actually working in qatar and i bought this boat here cheap, but it needs 2 engines since one is broken and the other is 12 years old and problems had started to show. the problem here is that they don't have good mechanics which can remanufacture the engines in a reliable way. thats why i want to buy 2 new bobtails from the states, have them shipped here and just drop them in. and thats why they need to be stock.

so anything which matches the my old 7.4L performance or more is more than acceptable, and since the new 496's are the most reliable from what i have read, that would be a good choice for me. by the way regarding the fuel prices, guys sorry to tell you this but its cheaper than bottled water here, so that is not an issue at all.

thanks for your help and input
jack
Old 08-03-2005, 10:11 AM
Registered

I'd say go with the 496HO's, sweet setup with closed cooling, electronic ignition and 425hp. Best bang for your buck along with reliability. Check the classified motor section here, saw some good prices. The 496 comes in 375 and 425, I'd spend the little extra for the 425. I'd also go with a 4-5 blade prop for the heavy load and with the extra horse you'll be able to handle a little higher pitch.

Oil companies are killing us over here..... not sure where they are putting all their profits, sure isn't back into their business....

Good Luck in Qatar, wherever the hell that is!!!! They got water, can't be all that bad!
Old 08-03-2005, 05:40 PM
Registered

thanks a lot for the info, i think i will go with the 496HO's
Old 09-06-2005, 07:35 PM
Registered

Unhappy Re: MX 6.2 MPI (320-hp) torque

I just repowered with twin 6.2"s in a 29' formula cruiser, it is about 12,000 wet, the 6.2's do not push the boat like the old 330 454's, I was running 19 pitch mirage plus props, I dropped down to 17pitch mirage and these engines run out of tourque about 4000 rpm, If I had it to do over I would stick with the big blocks, hope this helps.
Old 05-12-2013, 02:01 PM
Registered

Default 2001 PQ 260 Legend with 6.2 MPI

Hello, I'm looking at a 2001 Legend 260 with a 6.2 MPI engine. I'm getting mixed reviews on performance of this engine in a 26' boat. It will be a family boat so I don't need to go 65mph but will need hole shot, longevity, and reliability. I'd prefer the 454 MPI but this boat is the cleanest Legend I've seen yet. Any info would be greatly appreciated!