502 broke- starting over - need assist >

502 broke- starting over - need assist

Notices

502 broke- starting over - need assist

Old 08-05-2005, 09:26 AM
Registered

Received 75 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Re: 502 broke- starting over - need assist

Guys - the "newby" thanks you all for your assistance. I think I have a good plan of attack for my situation. Talked to many of the guys listed above - great information and solid people. The boat is underpowered (wish I'd known this 18 months ago but live and learn) but I am in no position to repower the way it should be powered right now so I am going to take this is steps:

1) get blown motor machined, re-assembled, running, and re-installed.
2) picking up two transmissions next week with more reduction which should raise RPMs at WOT to 5200 and reduce load in the rpms I will run it 3300-4500. This will also allow me to be able to turn more modern 4 or 5 blade cleavered props and gain the benefits associated with arnesons. I'll lose some top speed but gain better cruise and quicker plane and keep motors alive.
3) Get legal on builder and see if I can get some of my lost $$$ back (long and very sad story nightmares are made of...).
4) Work with above to build some bigger, stronger, better motors and sell the running take outs when I am ready to swap.

wish me luck
Old 08-09-2005, 09:43 AM
Registered

Received 75 Likes on 31 Posts

Patriyacht - my motoers are mounted 5 feet forward of the transom with Gill exhausts and 4-inch dimeter rubber hose that drops down to the exhaust throughulls.... .400 inches wont matter. Will my Gills still work with Merlin Tall Decks?
Old 08-09-2005, 10:58 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, you could use your existing cylinder heads also but you might want to have a little chamber work done if you go big bore just to match.

Last edited by PatriYacht; 08-09-2005 at 02:36 PM.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:02 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Spacers:

Using them on a tall deck for using a standard intake is a pain in the ass. To do them properly, the block, heads, and intake should be drilled for set pins to hold the spacers in place, and then you would have to buy new distributors meant for a tall deck block. They're not cheap. You'll spend $300-400 just to save your old intake.

Add it all up with the intake spacer kits being almost $100 each, and tall deck dist., two intake gasket sets, etc. So why not just buy a new tall deck intake for @ $300 which is already set up for your standard deck distributor - much simpler for same money.Just my .00002