Hyd. roller lifters Gen 6

Notices

Hyd. roller lifters Gen 6

Old 08-11-2005, 08:57 PM
Registered

Received 239 Likes on 92 Posts
Default Re: Hyd. roller lifters Gen 6

Originally Posted by Nordicflame
Crane dogbone lifters are not lift limited under normal max hyd roller lifts to .650+. The stockers are OK to .570 (and then a little )
The Cranes at .632 (.371) still were up .050 out of the retainer or so at the base which would translate to over .700 lift if you dare
They are a very clean setup with minimal moving parts but I didn't realize they got so expensive.
The Morels may be the way to go here.
I don't claim to be an engine builder, so tell me what is the harm if the lifter is down 30 thousands below the top of the retainer on the base circle? how could that hurt the lifter? I 'am just trying to avoid any costly repairs.so far I must be lucky, please fill me in just confussed at this time.
Old 08-14-2005, 07:37 PM
Registered

come on guys need some input on what could happen with the lifers below the retainers? don't want to blow up!!!!!
Old 08-15-2005, 05:41 AM
Registered

Thanks for the reply, that is what I was thinking also just thought I missed somthing, not a pro at these motors!! thanks again!!
Old 08-15-2005, 06:09 AM
CMG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a friend just went thru the same thing - Crane was real confident on the fone and they sent him a set - was wrong. he has a 97-98 HP 500 and finally got the right set from crane next day.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:28 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the lifter drops into the retainer, the possibility exist that it can catch and lift the retainer on the return travel. The rest is pretty ugly.
Yes, it matters and best not left to chance. It only takes one snag
Old 08-15-2005, 04:14 PM
Registered

Best of luck
Old 08-15-2005, 06:15 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Z5atbf
As long as the lifter stays IN the retainer,. its not going to lift the retainer. If it drops below the retainer, then you have an issue.
Why chance it over 500$? If a guy is running a 600 plus lift cam he is also buzzing motor closer to 6000 rpm's too which would in turn require higher spring pressures. At that point I would be looking for the lifter with the heaviest duty roller wheel, axles, axle bearings and lifter body. I am running morel lifters and they make the stock lifters and comp lifters look like chinese imports.I don't know about the gen 6 drop in lifters but the new crane retro lifters also appear to be real sturdy. Then top it off with the lifter dropping down into the dog bone,even if its only 30 thousandths,i guess its one of those things like running nitrous with cast pistons,it may work for a while,it may work forever but its not something I would leave to chance,Smitty
Old 08-15-2005, 08:48 PM
Registered

well thanks to everyone for their help I will come to a much more educated decision on these lifters now, thanks again.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:01 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Late model blocks and after market blocks now have lifter bores that are flat at the top and level across the lifter bank. This flat area is where the dog bone sits. The dog bone does nothing but except holds the lifter in place and keeps it from spinning. It does this by using 2 milled flat areas on the lifter. This flat goes only so far down then stops. Now max lobe lift of .355 to .359" is where the lifter will rise to a point and start to lift the dog bone off of the flat. Here is where you can get into trouble because if the dog bone raises to much it can get bent and hang a lifter. Now when the lobe comes back around it will "grab" the lifter body and you will have a worthless hunk of cast iron block.

I would suggest anyone building a stout mill with a healthy cam to run a link bar style lifter.

Chris
Old 08-25-2005, 04:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by cstraub
Late model blocks and after market blocks now have lifter bores that are flat at the top and level across the lifter bank. This flat area is where the dog bone sits. The dog bone does nothing but except holds the lifter in place and keeps it from spinning. It does this by using 2 milled flat areas on the lifter. This flat goes only so far down then stops. Now max lobe lift of .355 to .359" is where the lifter will rise to a point and start to lift the dog bone off of the flat. Here is where you can get into trouble because if the dog bone raises to much it can get bent and hang a lifter. Now when the lobe comes back around it will "grab" the lifter body and you will have a worthless hunk of cast iron block.

I would suggest anyone building a stout mill with a healthy cam to run a link bar style lifter.

Chris
I think I’m going to have to go out on a limb here and disagree; maybe I’ll get knocked around and learn something in the process.

Referring to Gen VI blocks only, I have personally run the Crane lifters with the dog bone setup several times with lobe lifts of .372 (.632 gross) which is exactly what they are made for. I have never seen them touch the retainers. If my memory serves me correctly, the cam lobe tips on a 168741, 761, 771 (.372) cam are nearly the same size as the cam bearing journal and you could never raise the lobe any higher than the bearing journal.
If it doesn’t interfere now it seemingly never could allow the lobe to raise the lifter into the retainer. This was obviously a design consideration when Crane developed these. The only way you can achieve more lift is by reducing the base circle which has already been done to some extent. This is why the top of the lifters are extended so that when they drop further down due to the smaller base circle (=more lift) they don’t drop into the retainer and cause wear which in turn could create a snag when coming back out of the dog bone. This was obviously the design driver behind these in my eyes.

Not trying to ruffle feathers, rather just trying to be sure I’m not missing something here?

If I was going with a Dart block with 1000+ hp I would obviously look to something else but the Cranes seem to be a very light, simple (less moving parts) and dependable setup for most Gen VI blocks.

Thanks,
Dave
Attached Thumbnails Hyd. roller lifters Gen 6-cam.jpg  

Quick Reply: Hyd. roller lifters Gen 6

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.