Water pump failed or cloged?? >

Water pump failed or cloged??

Notices

Water pump failed or cloged??

Old 08-07-2005, 08:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water pump failed or cloged??

I was running my 454 mag on TRS drives and after running for about an hour it got hot enough to blow a hole in the rubber exhaust. my temp gauge didn;t move but i instantly shut down and then i started back up. It was still pumping alot of water just like it always has. So i replaced the hose and assumed it got clogged for a minute in the the intake on the back of the boat. I then ran it all the next weeked without problems. Today i took the boat out and it was pumping alot of water like normal before i took off then soon i got on plane the temp gauge started climbing so i shut down. It was very weedy in the area and now no matter what i do it is only pumping 50% water out of the exhasut and the temp gauge climbs fast soon as i start. I want to think that something is clogged but i dont know. It has the sea water pump on the bottom left side of the engine. It goes the the pum then to the oil cooler then i dont know what it does. Is this the only pump on the motor?? If it is just the pump can i change the impellors? I have tried back washing the pump with the biger line on the front of the motor coming from the oil cooler i believe. I also took of the thermostat housing and filled the engine with water and when i start the motor it blows water out the exhaust for a second then stops. Any help would be great i dont know alot about these motors with seawater pumps without circulator pumps and pumps in the outdrives. Thanks for any help.
Old 08-07-2005, 08:49 PM
Registered

Default Re: Water pump failed or cloged??

If i can just rebuild my pump is this what i need...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

I think this is the right one. ANyone know where else to get one? Thanks
Old 08-07-2005, 09:26 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Re: Water pump failed or cloged??

That will work on your pump as long as your hoses come straight into the back of your pump. With this new style pump you wont need your rear cover. This type pump is called a 1 piece, you should have a 2 piece pump. You don't have a water pickup in the drive, you should have a transom mounted pickup on the left side of the boat, which is port. Check on the inside to make sure that you don't have an incoming water valve closed or slightly closed to restrict water flow. Do you have a sea strainer in your boat, or does the incoming water hose go from the transom right to the back of the pump? Sounds like you ate an impeller up to me. When was the last time an impeller was done?Also, in order to flush the lines out, you need to take them off the sea pump and then back flush. Especially if it ate the impeller up. You need to get all those old pieces out of there so they don't clog up the coolers.

If you need anymore info, feel free to give me a call at the shop.

John S.
Old 08-08-2005, 06:32 AM
Registered

I dont know the last time it was changed. It also goes right from the transom into the sea pump. Thanks for the help
Old 08-08-2005, 06:47 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

You need to pay real close attention to the oil cooler/ps cooler and make sure they are backflushed real well, they like to clog up real easy.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:41 AM
Registered

If i take the hose of the front of the motor and spray back into that i believe this will backflush the oil cooler if i have the outlet hose on the sea pump off. Any recomendations of what to do to prevent debres coming in the intakes at the transom. I run in water that is weed infested often to get to the clean lake. I am going to put some screens on my inlets at least so if it does clog i can clean reletivily easy. How do sea strainers work and what are they for? I think they just help clean the water right? The go before the sea pump.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:02 PM
Registered

Ive plugged my oil cooler with seaweed many times. Get a strainer, lots easy to deal with.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:21 PM
Registered

How didd you flush your oil cooler?
Old 08-08-2005, 06:53 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Talking Re: Water pump failed or cloged??

The best thing to do is install a sea strainer. This aids in what ever might get sucked up from even getting to the sea pump. You can also add a flush system to these very easy.

John
Old 08-08-2005, 08:34 PM
Registered

ANybody have any sea strainers they want to sell?? Cheap...lol, that word dont work with boating.

Quick Reply: Water pump failed or cloged??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.