Notices

525 SC Carb Flooding

Old 08-08-2005, 05:17 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 525 SC Carb Flooding

I have twin 525 SC's, 1997.
I think these have the 1050 dominator carbs on them (stock).
My port motor will fire up briefly, then, as the fuel bowls fill with fuel, it dies out, flooding I'm guessing.
I pulled off the flame arrestor and watched as I cranked it over and fuel is pouring out of the accelerator pump jets. It is the front jets and it pulses with the pumping of the fuel pump, if that makes any sense? Not supposed to be getting any fuel from these unless I move the throttles which works the accelerator pump lever, which I am not doing.
I piulled the front bowl off and made sure the float wasn't stuck by movig it up and down several times.
Help, any ideas?
Accelerator pump diaphragm?

Thanks,

Scott
Old 08-08-2005, 06:08 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: 525 SC Carb Flooding

Sounds like a picse if trash in the needle and seat. making it stick open

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 08-08-2005, 06:28 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think those have power valves but if it does I would check the power valve for a bad diaphragm also. Either way it sounds like time for a rebuild.
Old 08-08-2005, 06:37 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by insptech
I don't think those have power valves but if it does I would check the power valve for a bad diaphragm also. Either way it sounds like time for a rebuild.
A blown power valve want make it pour fuel out the boosters .This is probaly what he is seeing ?

A busted Accelerator pump diaphragm want let it make a pump shot out the squirters

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 08-08-2005, 07:00 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Here is what I have:
The fuel is poring out from the jests located right behind the bowl vent tubes, not the circular fuel supplies in the main body of the carb.
Sorry for my ignorance on carburetor anatomy!

I'll probably pull the carb and go through it, looking for trash or anything else I can find. Is there any way to check the power valve or the accelerator pump?

Scott
Attached Thumbnails 525 SC Carb Flooding-1050-dominator.jpg  
Old 08-08-2005, 04:40 PM
Registered

I have a pair of them. You must have a blown power valve or a broken gasket letting in fuel. Pm me and I will walk you through the carbs. If they are set up right that motor will Idle blow 500rpm. You dont want them there but they will idle right down.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:52 PM
Registered

check your fuel pressure, no more than 8psi. check the float level at the sight glass or level plug. if the pressure is ok remove & clean the needle & seat assy. you don't have to take the bowl off, it it just unscrews out the top. clean it carefully, blow it dry with compressed air & it should be fine.
reinstall it & recheck the float level.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:02 PM
Registered

The "jets behind the bowl vent tubes" sounds like the air bleeds to me. If that is the case it means you're getting too much fuel in the bowl. Either the float is set way too high or the needle and seat assembly is stuck open (poss. by a peice of dirt) or the fuel pressure is too high (more than 7.5 - 8psi) for the needle to handle.
First, check fuel pressure. If thats OK, try tapping lightly on the needle adjuster screw (right at the top end of the bowl) with like the handle of a screwdriver. This usually will dislodge any small piece of dirt that is stuck in between the needle and seat. If that don't cure it you need to check your float level. It may be that you need to change your needle and seat assembly. If your gonna go that route, it's probably your best bet to just buy a rebuild kit from Holley (I think they're less than $50.00) and get someone who knows Holley Dominator carbs to do the rebuild.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:04 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

They do have front and rear powervalves. I 'm unclear as to where the fuel is coming from though.

A pic is worth a 1000words.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:17 PM
Registered

34 scarab, also check your float mine was full of fuel and sank which would not close off the needle valve.

Quick Reply: 525 SC Carb Flooding

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.