Notices

How do YOU change your oil?

Old 08-14-2005, 11:38 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts
Default Re: How do YOU change your oil?

Originally Posted by hillbilly24
Flushing the engine is a great idea especially if you have fuel contanimation. One other littl side note though, when you unhok the coil you should ground out the coil wire from the coil. It can burn the coil up otherwise, rare occurance but it happens.
Hillbilly,I think thats how i killed my msd coil earler this summer,i quit pulling the coil wire off and started un plugging the twin plug connector to my NEW coil,then it doesn't spark at all,Smitty
Attached Thumbnails How do YOU change your oil?-truck-rearend-002.jpg  
Old 08-15-2005, 08:36 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When my present motors were installed I had hoses hooked directly to the oil pan drain fitting. I simply warm the motors, connect the hose to my Jabsco pump on a bucket and in a few minutes its all sucked out. I'll usually let it drain for a few more minutes then do a final pump. Put the cap back in the fitting on the end of the hose and it's over. I also fill my filters when I install them. I use extra large heavy duty baggies over the filter and cover below the filter area with paper towels for any spill. When the filter is off I seal the baggy and carry to an oil disposal depot along with the changer bucket. I use 20W 50 Alysin synthetic @ 50 hr intervals.

It's easy, not messy at all, quick, and I believe it gets more oil out than through the dipstick tube.

30-45 minutes start to finish both motors.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:37 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My drain plug is on the side of the pan. I pull the plug and turn on the shop vac!!!!!
Old 08-15-2005, 03:51 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

anyone ever suck it out the dip tube then pull the drain plug to see how much it really gets out ? I would like to know. .....
Old 08-15-2005, 06:33 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by offthefront
anyone ever suck it out the dip tube then pull the drain plug to see how much it really gets out ? I would like to know. .....
Sucking the oil out of the dipstick isn't a option for me as my hardin marine 14 qt pan(junk) uses a flimsy plastic dipstick BUT the worst contamination(small debris and metal particles) would be left in the very bottom of the pan if you sucked it out of the dipstick tube as it is ar least 1/4 inch from bottom of the pan if not more.Smitty
Old 08-15-2005, 08:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by articfriends
Sucking the oil out of the dipstick isn't a option for me as my hardin marine 14 qt pan(junk) uses a flimsy plastic dipstick BUT the worst contamination(small debris and metal particles) would be left in the very bottom of the pan if you sucked it out of the dipstick tube as it is ar least 1/4 inch from bottom of the pan if not more.Smitty
you cut the plastic tube at an angle and stick it down the dip stick tube. You can get it right on the bottom of the pan. I pulled the pan plug after doing it one time and got about 1or 2 teaspoons of oil out. I don't think you can get much better than that. Then you just reverse the pump and pump it into the empty jugs.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:29 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Arrow Re: How do YOU change your oil?

I use a Topsider MVP...Metal can with a hand pump...about 30 pumps and warmed up oil for 10 minutes comes out the dipstick tube in about 2 minutes.

I once measured the amount sucked out by filling empty oil bottles and most all came out. I used oil filter magnets to keep the metal on the sides of the filter and not the bottom of the pan.

Complete oil change in 2 motors with filters in about a 1/2 hour. Had both drives draining as well...heated the sides up with a hot air gun...

What matters is having a routine that works for you and a schedule. Then checking the dipstick before every run for color and gasoline smell...if it smells like gas it's out of there.

My friends are now going 30-35 hours on M-1 Extended 15W-50.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:25 PM
Registered

I have the topsider dipstick changer as well with a 502EFI. I have probably about a cup of oil that comes out the oil pan drain when I pull the plug. I'm not real fond of my topsider....what are you guys using for the "electric motor and a 5 gallon bucket"? I've seen them advertised but can you make one that's cheaper?

Great thread!!!
Old 08-15-2005, 09:52 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Arrow Re: How do YOU change your oil?

I heard if you drain while the boat is in the water you can get a bit more out as the pan is tipped back.

Don't sweat a small amount remaining if you change regularly.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:53 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by rdp145
you cut the plastic tube at an angle and stick it down the dip stick tube. You can get it right on the bottom of the pan. I pulled the pan plug after doing it one time and got about 1or 2 teaspoons of oil out. I don't think you can get much better than that. Then you just reverse the pump and pump it into the empty jugs.
Excellent idea,I guess i never really thought of that.I will see if any of my tubes that came with my oil sucker that i bought when boat had stock dipstick tube will fit thru the plastic tube,sounds like it has worked for you in the past. I have adapted it to my drain hose before when i was in a hurry but my pump only holds 5 quarts so you have to do it several times. Its great when someone points something out so obvious that has been overlooked ,Smitty

Quick Reply: How do YOU change your oil?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.