Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
I feel stupid, Please answer my TRS ROTATION question. >

I feel stupid, Please answer my TRS ROTATION question.

Notices

I feel stupid, Please answer my TRS ROTATION question.

Old 08-24-2005, 09:03 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Question I feel stupid, Please answer my TRS ROTATION question.

Since I've owned a twin engine boat, I always thought that the Transmissions are what made the props spin in oppositte directions...Until tonight, we blew the left drive and put a spare on that used to be on the right side. Went to put the boat in forward and it went in reverse. We didn't change the props so I can only assume that the drives are what makes the props spin in different directions...Sadly enough I never knew this, and was told by the mechanic at our marina that the tranny's are what made them spin oppositte. I am completely confused now...please explain and help me out here.

My second question is if this is true, Until I get the broken drive back in 2 weeks, can I simply switch that bracket on the tranny (Borg Warner) that puts it into gear. Or even simpler, can I just put the left side in reverse and hit the throttle and drive forward...for the time being?? I know that sounds kind of dangerous, but is it physically possible??? Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:07 PM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: I feel stupid, Please answer my TRS ROTATION question.

The drive direction on a TRS is determined by the lower unit. The gear that mounts on the props shaft is either in front of the gear on the vertical shaft or behind it, depending direction the drive is to spin.
On a Bravo you can switch the cables or run in reverse, not on a TRS. The transmission won't handle as much torque running in reverse.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the trans doesn't care which way the drive turns. the lower part of the drive does care. you have to swap drives with a trs
to reverse rotation, otherwise damage will occur.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:50 AM
Registered

The above answers are right on. B/W trannys can be set up to operate with either standard or counter-rotating engines but cannot reverse the input rotation under high load. You could get by using another RH rotation prop but it might result in some less than desirable handling characteristics. --- Jer
Old 08-25-2005, 09:19 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I agree with JP, Just put on another rt hand prop to get you on the water for the weekend.

Yup, docking will be a little funny but they've been running two rt hand Alphas for yearsw.

Kurt
Old 08-25-2005, 09:52 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Biggus
I agree with JP, Just put on another rt hand prop to get you on the water for the weekend.

Yup, docking will be a little funny but they've been running two rt hand Alphas for yearsw.

Kurt
I was thinking that...only problem is I don't have another right hand prop, I use Hydromotive Quad IV's and thats not something you grab overnight. Although I suppose I could, but for $500+ I guess I will just have to wait.

ANYONE GOT ANY SUGGESTIONS ON WHO SHOULD REBUILD MY TRS????
Old 08-25-2005, 10:53 AM
Registered

What pitch you need? My spare is a Q IV-26P and I shouldn't need it unless I have an unforeseen mishap. You pay the freight both ways and if you break it; you bought it, of course. --- Jer
Old 08-25-2005, 11:11 AM
Registered

Also, I could rebuild your unit. I have all the tools and have done many, but parts are getting a bit scarce since Merc. quit supplying them. Probably the BEST guy who can get parts and do the build would be Chris at Sterndrive Spec. I think he's an advertiser here. --- Jer
Old 08-25-2005, 11:53 AM
Registered

Definitely DON'T run your shifters in reverse to make the boat go forward. I just found this out the hard way 4th of July weekend. Went to use boat for first time this summer, went to back out of the slip and the boat went forward! I have Merc 600's with #5 Speedmasters. My last boat had Bravos and I remembered running that set-up backwards till the next time I pulled the boat out, then switched the props. Thought I could do the same this time. Boy was I wrong!! Went for 30 minute run, had problems shifting, thought it was the cables, came back in, shifters were locked in gear, shut boat down, but ended up idling into the seawall nose first! OUCH ! Found out later that I ran the trannies in reverse to make the boat go forward and locked them up good, tore everything up. There's only 3 or 4 reverse cluth plates, but 7-8 forward. $3000 later I was back in the water.. Most expensive learning lesson ever!!
Good luck,
Mike

Last edited by MACTONITE; 08-25-2005 at 11:56 AM.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jpclear
What pitch you need? My spare is a Q IV-26P and I shouldn't need it unless I have an unforeseen mishap. You pay the freight both ways and if you break it; you bought it, of course. --- Jer
Thanks a bunch for the offer Jer, I appreciate it, unfortunately I have 24Pitch. Where is Sterndrive Spec.?? Do you have a number or any contact info. I don't really want to ship this drive back to florida again.
Thanks,
Matt

Quick Reply: I feel stupid, Please answer my TRS ROTATION question.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.