Notices

Oil System Plumbing

Old 08-29-2005, 03:54 PM
RLW
~~~~
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Oil System Plumbing

There has been much discussion in regards to what is right and what is wrong in regards to the plumbing of an oil circuit for our performance engines.
The use of 90 degree fittings is considered inappropriate for these systems. The question is, " Can one use a 90 degree swept fitting as in an Aeroquip style hose end"?
I am considering the Aeroquip 90 degree fitting as shown.

The use of 90 degree "drilled" fittings is a no-no but yet Mercury has used them on their HP motor oil circuits. ?????

One more thing to consider is that there are some thermostatically controlled oil coolers available that have an abrupt 90 degree fitting in there design. I would think that this would cause some disturbance in the oil flow as the oil bypasses the cooler and reroutes itself back to the engine.
As always thanks for any replies.
Russ
Attached Thumbnails Oil System Plumbing-aer-fbm1532_w.jpg  
Old 08-29-2005, 04:59 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts
Default Re: Oil System Plumbing

Russ,if your using -12 hose its not as critical as when lines are marginal,just don't use any more than you have to. Make sure you buy whats called a "full flow fitting",Smitty
Old 08-29-2005, 06:09 PM
RLW
~~~~
Charter Member

Smitty,
I have been in conversation with Stef's Performance and they have done much research in oil line sizing. Their response was that they have tried many combinations of line sizes such as -10 supply and return, -12 supply and return, -10 supply and -12 return, etc.
They felt that -10 was more than adequate except for the highest HP applications (you). I checked out a Mercury Supercat motor at St. Clair and noticed the use of -12 AN exclusively. I am now leaning in the direction of using -10 AN Socketless Aeroquip hose and fittings. As you know my temps and pressures look good now but am looking for a little more volume than the Mercury HP500 setup I am using. I am looking for a little more assurance.
In your case, the -12 lines are warranted. I want to try an upgrade in line size and routing and see the results. My present oil cooler is 2" x 17" with an additional remote PS cooler. I did some searches on OSO and there are some guys using a much larger cooler than what I am running. I don't stay into it for as long as some therefore my temps are not as much as an issue. I see 220-225 at cruise and 250 after WOT. These are return temps after the cooler.
Thanks for your feedback.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:07 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Re: Oil System Plumbing

Originally Posted by RLW
Smitty,
I have been in conversation with Stef's Performance and they have done much research in oil line sizing. Their response was that they have tried many combinations of line sizes such as -10 supply and return, -12 supply and return, -10 supply and -12 return, etc.
They felt that -10 was more than adequate except for the highest HP applications (you). I checked out a Mercury Supercat motor at St. Clair and noticed the use of -12 AN exclusively. I am now leaning in the direction of using -10 AN Socketless Aeroquip hose and fittings. As you know my temps and pressures look good now but am looking for a little more volume than the Mercury HP500 setup I am using. I am looking for a little more assurance.
In your case, the -12 lines are warranted. I want to try an upgrade in line size and routing and see the results. My present oil cooler is 2" x 17" with an additional remote PS cooler. I did some searches on OSO and there are some guys using a much larger cooler than what I am running. I don't stay into it for as long as some therefore my temps are not as much as an issue. I see 220-225 at cruise and 250 after WOT. These are return temps after the cooler.
Thanks for your feedback.
With some increased cooling you should be able to get the WOT temps down to 230's.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:11 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

http://www.hardin-marine.com/product...il-coolers.htm

Dual Tandem Oil Cooler 2" Diameter / 18" Length
This is one of the best designs anywhere. Two coolers and only one water hose connection. Each tube consists of thirty-one 1/4" seamless tubes with displacement baffles so you can be assured you're getting maximum cooling when you need it.

or

"The Ultimate" Hi-Performance Thermostatically Controlled CoolerQuite simply, the ultimate oil cooler on the market today! It maintains oil temperature thermostatically and all in one unit. If you suffer from either high oil temperature or even moisture or condensation in your engine oil this is the answer. The oil thermostat is designed to maintain an oil operating temperature between 190 degrees and 215 degrees. The thermostat bypasses the cooler until operating temperature has been reached and then balances oil flow to maintain optimum oil temperature. This alone can save you from years of damage caused by operating your boat with too cold oil.

Call them Hydro's choices.
Attached Images   

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 08-29-2005 at 07:23 PM.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:30 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Hydro, thats exactly what I'm running,it is a little small for my power level but I don't go on poker runs at wot for 45 minutes,works great,Smitty
Attached Thumbnails Oil System Plumbing-oil-lines-004.jpg  
Old 08-29-2005, 07:49 PM
Registered

[QUOTE=RLW]There has been much discussion in regards to what is right and what is wrong in regards to the plumbing of an oil circuit for our performance engines.
The use of 90 degree fittings is considered inappropriate for these systems. The question is, " Can one use a 90 degree swept fitting as in an Aeroquip style hose end"?
I am considering the Aeroquip 90 degree fitting as shown.

The use of 90 degree "drilled" fittings is a no-no but yet Mercury has used them on their HP motor oil circuits. ?????

What specifically are you referring to when you say "drilled" fittings? Are they the 90 degree NPT to AN adapter fittings that many including Aeroquip has to offer?
Old 08-29-2005, 07:51 PM
Registered

[QUOTE=Hydrocruiser]http://www.hardin-marine.com/product...il-coolers.htm

Dual Tandem Oil Cooler 2" Diameter / 18" Length
This is one of the best designs anywhere. Two coolers and only one water hose connection. Each tube consists of thirty-one 1/4" seamless tubes with displacement baffles so you can be assured you're getting maximum cooling when you need it.

or

"The Ultimate" Hi-Performance Thermostatically Controlled CoolerQuite simply, the ultimate oil cooler on the market today! It maintains oil temperature thermostatically and all in one unit. If you suffer from either high oil temperature or even moisture or condensation in your engine oil this is the answer. The oil thermostat is designed to maintain an oil operating temperature between 190 degrees and 215 degrees. The thermostat bypasses the cooler until operating temperature has been reached and then balances oil flow to maintain optimum oil temperature. This alone can save you from years of damage caused by operating your boat with too cold oil.

Is what you are saying is the Thermo unit opens at 215 and closes at 190? Just trying to get a handle on the numbers.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:35 PM
RLW
~~~~
Charter Member

Rotax,
When I refer to a drilled fitting I mean something along the order of Item #21 in the below picture.
Attached Thumbnails Oil System Plumbing-19.png  
Old 08-29-2005, 09:04 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by articfriends
Hydro, thats exactly what I'm running,it is a little small for my power level but I don't go on poker runs at wot for 45 minutes,works great,Smitty
Maybe the thermostat controlled cooler is not the right one for you..try the dual set-up. I knew a guy with blown 502 that ran a twin dual set-up...prior was seeing 290*F at WOT for 15 minutes and after was right around 230*F max.

No excuse for oil that is too hot...you just keep plumbing in more surface area...a twin dually always does the trick I am told.

He has a radiator shop plumb the 2 units in a parrallel configuration and essentially have one inlet and outlet. It's all about surface area..temps went down..oil pressure was normal...engine life doubled compared to previous...added extra oil volume as well to the system.

Heat is your engines worst enemy....and oil heat is what they are talking about too...never forget it!

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 08-29-2005 at 09:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Oil System Plumbing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.