Horrable Marine products >

Horrable Marine products

Notices

Horrable Marine products

Old 09-01-2005, 08:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horrable Marine products

Care to vote on the werst possible marine products you can use. Mine in order.

1] Holley Electric fuel pumps, good for a couple of hours. I don't care where you mount them.

2] Zoomers Exhaust Mufflers, They don't work, they don't fit, they don.t stand behind there product.

3] XR Drives, over 500 HP. No matter who modifys them there a time-bomb.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:27 PM
Registered

Default Re: Horrable Marine products

Bennett Trimdicators. As much as i like Bennetts customer service, their engineers really dropped the ball on these. Should be off the market.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:29 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Never used a Holley pump on a boat. They were crap 20 years ago when I was into cars. I still think they are crap now. I broke my Imco Extreme lower on the 4th of July this year with 680 h.p. That was a fun 20 mile tow back to the dock.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:27 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't know about 1 and 2 but we've run a Max Machine upgraded XR drive behind 900 centrifigully supercharged hp in a 28 foot Nordic for 3 years.

Interesting about the Zoomers
Old 09-02-2005, 12:06 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Nordicflame
Don't know about 1 and 2 but we've run a Max Machine upgraded XR drive behind 900 centrifigully supercharged hp in a 28 foot Nordic for 3 years.

Interesting about the Zoomers
I have heard also that the zoomers are JUNK and KILL hp,I'm running ggb's,will know next weeekend when I uncork it if they are holding me back.
How many hours have you gotten from your max drive in those 3 years,how tall of a prop can you pull at what rpm's and how often would you say you lean on it at wot? I also have over 900 hp in my 272 baja w/max drive,25 hours this year with that power on current drive,boat pulls 5900 rpm's w/30 pitch labbed,40 hours last year w/750 hp on same drive since I repaired it last season. I'm very happy with their upgraded parts BUT in those 65 cumulative hours only 5-10 of them were at full throttle/boost.I have gotten 50-85 hours on their upgraded drives between breakage,last year i sheared off a max vertical shaft but shaft had 185 hours on it since new.When my boat had less torque(probably was around 800 ft lbs) I would stand on it often from 2200 rpm's to redline,now at 950 ft lbs plus I avoid holeshots as I know I'm approaching the absolute limits of what drive can take. I bought a spare max upgraded drive last time something broke to lower down time,its part of the price we pay to have big power in front of a drive that was designed for moderate power.It seems Aaron and Jason at max machine have done the best that could be done with a XR drive out of all the xr builders out there. I appreciate any info for comparison purposes ,Smitty
Attached Thumbnails Horrable Marine products-ubly-oct-9-003.jpg   Horrable Marine products-boat-tests-002.jpg  

Last edited by articfriends; 09-02-2005 at 12:13 AM.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:41 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Smitty,
The drive resided year one with approximately 750hp and then the following two (up to now) with 900 hp. Sounds like we’ve taken very similar paths
It has been run in several poker runs and general every weekend lake racing. I installed the engine/drive package in my friend’s boat this past winter. He has put close to 100 hours on it this year and has been giving a lot of thrill rides. This is in addition to the 100 hrs I put on it. It would be hard to calculate just how many hours of WOT it has seen though; probably not as many as it seems.
The props have been anywhere from a 28 Bravo at high altitudes up to 6000 feet, 27 P5-X, 30 Bravo to 6000rpm and climbing at Havasu, a 29 P5-X and now a 32 was tried and turned 5300rpm at 5000 feet elevation. He’ll be turning the 32 at lower elevation next weekend. Obviously it’s seen a bit of stress with the 5 blades and all.
It has taken a fair amount of abuse but it also has been used for long cruising on Powell trips and such.
Max does great work but I think you have to be a little lucky also.
The other thing is I believe the use of a centrifugal SC helps a lot as well as not running where the drive where it is always coming out of the water. I’m sure if this drive had been run in the ocean or great lakes it may not have faired as well.
I’ve told the new owner to schedule a maintenance appointment with Max to tear her down and give it a look this winter. I’ll let you know how it looks
Hope this helps...
PM me if you have any other questions.
Dave
Old 09-02-2005, 10:54 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

You sound cool dave,maybe we could talk on the phone sometime and compare notes.Some of my drive failures can be attributed to teething problems with xr parts and up grades. I had one set of xr pinion gears that were starting to really scallop at 85 hours,i broke another set just like the bravo gears used to break in the floor. What some people don't realize is how much midrange torque there actually is even with a centrifugal supercharger. I constantly here guys talking about how these centrifugals don't make alot of midrange torque,COMPARED TO WHAT? My motor made 850 foot lbs from 3200 past 5700 rpm's,peaking at 967 at 4400. Put a 32 pitch on it and lean on it from 3200 and you might just shear something off. I been rationing the throttle more with this motor knowing that although I got in a race last sunday were I stood on it at 2500 rpm's and it didn't break.Thanks for the info,Smitty
Attached Thumbnails Horrable Marine products-boat-90-mph-026.jpg  
Old 09-02-2005, 11:59 AM
Registered

The Merc 575SC...oh and the 1050 also
Old 09-04-2005, 07:09 AM
Registered

I forgot, Stainless Marine "Heads-up" Trim Display. Great Idea but you just can't get a acurate reading. The cables are realy cheap and the system needs to be redesigned.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:03 AM
Registered

That sucks. I just bought a Holley fuel pump

Quick Reply: Horrable Marine products

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.