Trim Tabs Angle >

Trim Tabs Angle

Notices

Trim Tabs Angle

Old 09-12-2005, 09:43 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trim Tabs Angle

Does amyone know why the trim tabs are mounted on an angle, usually the same angle as the hull ? When running on the water the boat is level, not on an angle like the hull. It would seem that if they were 90* to the water when running that they would hold the bow down better. When they are in the down position they are also angled out, which would put a drag on the boat when moving. Has anyone ever tried mounting them at 90* ?
Old 09-12-2005, 09:59 AM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Trim Tabs Angle

Many performance boats mount their tabs flat or flater than the vee of the hull. Some of Fountains top boats are dead flat all the way at the edge.

Last edited by Pismo10; 11-14-2005 at 08:51 AM.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Pismo10
Many performance boat mount their tabs flat or flater than the vee off the hull. Some of Fountains top boats are dead flat all the way at the edge.
Well then I guess I'm not to far off in my thinking....I was thinking about repositioning them.....I'll wait and see if anyone else has any opinions....
Old 09-12-2005, 05:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Pismo10
Many performance boat mount their tabs flat or flater than the vee off the hull. Some of Fountains top boats are dead flat all the way at the edge.
I just found a number of pics on fountains with the tabs mounted straight, or 90 degrees to the water, not on an angle matching the hull...hmm...I think I'm on the right track here with my opinion....
Attached Thumbnails Trim Tabs Angle-6942_8.jpg   Trim Tabs Angle-1540_3.jpg   Trim Tabs Angle-79665949_3.jpg  

Last edited by 32 caliber; 09-12-2005 at 07:31 PM. Reason: add pic
Old 09-12-2005, 07:31 PM
Registered

Some velocitys also mounted the tabs flat with the deck. If you were to look back at the bottom of the boat at speed the water comes off the bottom at the angle of the bottom. It would only be flat if the bottom were flat
Old 09-12-2005, 07:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mmwalters
Some velocitys also mounted the tabs flat with the deck. If you were to look back at the bottom of the boat at speed the water comes off the bottom at the angle of the bottom. It would only be flat if the bottom were flat
If thats the case, look at the bottom pic, the hull isn't flat, and the tabs don't match the angle of the hull.....
Old 09-12-2005, 07:50 PM
Registered

it doesn't make sense, though, if you have it mounted flat, perfectly in line w/ the hull what happens when your running the boat w/ the bow high? dont't the tabs drag in the water and slow the boat down? mine are set up that way and i am considering raising them
Old 09-12-2005, 07:54 PM
Registered

Jim I agree, the bottom is flat only in the area of the chines. I believe on a pad bottom like a velocity, the pad lifts the boat so high at speed that the v section on both sides of the pad have little contact with the water. Maybe that explains the flat mounting. I have seen both mounting positions on race boats. The most common by far is the tab at the angle with the bottom.
Old 09-12-2005, 08:00 PM
Registered

mcrsr You sure don't want the tabs to drag at speed. It is common to mount tabs 3/4'' above the bottom so they will not drag. There should be enough UP angle so the tabs do not touch when the boat is trimed out. Remember the best running angle on a well set up hull is only 2-4 degrees
Old 09-12-2005, 08:02 PM
Registered

From what I could find, it seems all the newer fountains have the tabs 90* to the water, the older ones are on an angle equal to the v hull. They must of changed it for good reason...it wouldn't be a very big deal to reposition mine, maybe I need to make the change and then see what difference it really makes....

Last edited by 32 caliber; 09-12-2005 at 08:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Trim Tabs Angle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.