OMC cobra vs Volvo Sx transom assembly >

OMC cobra vs Volvo Sx transom assembly

Notices

OMC cobra vs Volvo Sx transom assembly

Old 09-14-2005, 08:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OMC cobra vs Volvo Sx transom assembly

Can anyone tell me if the transom assembly from an OMC cobra and a volvo sx drive are equivalent. Does it matter what year the drives are from?
Thanks
`Dave
Old 09-14-2005, 09:51 AM
Registered

Default Re: OMC cobra vs Volvo Sx transom assembly

Originally Posted by davids94
Can anyone tell me if the transom assembly from an OMC cobra and a volvo sx drive are equivalent. Does it matter what year the drives are from?
Thanks
`Dave
They are the same.
A new Volvo SX will bolt on to an older Cobra transom assy. You will need different trim set ups.

The Volvo will have a single piece shift cable that goes all the way to the drive, not a split trunion like a Cobra.

I can recommend Dubbert's Outdrive for this kind of swap.

Jim Dubbert can hook you up with what you need.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:53 PM
Registered

So a 1996 SX outdrive would fit onto a 1989 OMC cobra transom assembly? If so, what kind of work would i need to do with regard to the trim setup? I will have the cylinders from both drives and the pumps are the same. In addition, what would it take to change the shiftcable on the OMC cobra to the one from an SX?
THanks
Old 09-14-2005, 01:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by davids94
So a 1996 SX outdrive would fit onto a 1989 OMC cobra transom assembly? If so, what kind of work would i need to do with regard to the trim setup? I will have the cylinders from both drives and the pumps are the same. In addition, what would it take to change the shiftcable on the OMC cobra to the one from an SX?
THanks
As far as years go... a "late model" SX will fit on my 87 cobra transom assy. I don't think that they made more than one transom assy style. Not sure what you mean about the trim setup. You can use the same pump. You have to use the SX rams.

The Cobra has a two piece "split" shift cable. The new one for the SX (my guess is that you will have to buy a new cable to fit your boat) will bypass the trunion on the block that your cobra has. It is a direct one piece cable. It would be routed directly back and down into the transom assy and into the drive. (it would start at your control lever and go all the way back and out).
If you have morse type controls you will have to solve the issue of throttle. Not sure what that solution is. A volvo guy would know for sure.

If you have livorsi type controls it won't effect your throttle system. You can run the new cable direct without regard to throttle.

I would try to track down a guy who sells and services both types of drives like Dubberts to give you more details.

Good luck. I have considered making this same change, but I am selling the boat.
Old 09-14-2005, 04:57 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I really don't think this swap is possible. How would you anchor the cable to the bell housing. I think a 95 or 96 Cobra would be closer as this is when they joined together to make the SX drive.
Old 09-14-2005, 05:05 PM
Registered

it wont work if for no other reason the shifter set up is differnt!!
Old 09-14-2005, 07:07 PM
Registered

Maybe switch bell housing?

Not sure.

I would call Jim Dubbert at Dubberts outdrive. They come up in a google with a phone number. Port Clinton.
He explained it to me on the phone about a year ago. Can't remember everything that had to be changed. But he has done it. He was even willing to take my Cobras on trade against brand new Volvos.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:35 PM
Registered

Nope guys it won't work, I know that they use the same transom cut out but that is all. Ed
Old 09-15-2005, 06:26 AM
Registered

http://www.dubbertsoutdrive.com

Ask for Jim.

Tell him what you want to do. He will tell you what you need.
He does this kind of thing all day.

It was gonna cost me about 7 grand and my Cobras.
Didn't write down the list of things that needed to be changed.

Because the cutout is the same, it will work. The question is... how much stuff has to be swapped out. Obviously the shift issue has to be overcome.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:05 AM
Registered

I spoke to Jim. He said if it is a joint venture OMC cobra (1996 and newer) it will work. Otherwise it wont. Apparently the shifting is completely different.

Quick Reply: OMC cobra vs Volvo Sx transom assembly

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.