Mobil 1, will it help ??? >

Mobil 1, will it help ???

Notices

Mobil 1, will it help ???

Old 09-17-2005, 08:09 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Mobil 1, will it help ???

I have a 1992 454 chev with a King Cobra that looses reverse after it gets warmed up, after the drive cools down reverse returns. I have been told to use Mobil 1 75-90 wt synthetic gear lube and this might help my problem. Is there a marine version of Mobile 1 or is there just the one kind. I put on a drive shower and it doesent help. I hope someone has some thoughts on why reverse is this way. Shifting has been adjusted to factory specs by a omc dealer and the boat has 82 hrs on it. Any thoughts by anyone? pretty PLEASE even with sugar added if it will get me some replies. Thanks, Denny
Old 09-17-2005, 10:04 AM
Registered

Default Re: Mobil 1, will it help ???

Probably no miracles in a can at this point. And I believe the synthetic, being slicker, would only make matters worse. I would have the dealer (or a different one) recheck that adjustment letting them know the problem and suggest loading it a bit heaver to reverse. But usually once they start to slip, nothing short of new parts cures the problem. Sorry; I hope I'm wrong. --- Jer
Old 09-17-2005, 11:02 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Re: Mobil 1, will it help ???

As the drive is heating up metals tend to contract a bit and "gaps widen somewhat"...get it re-adjusted as you are close but not quite there yet.

Then go with a good PAO synthetic gearlube and if you want a "branded product" for MARINE...Amsoil has a good one.
Old 09-17-2005, 11:47 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Hydrocruiser
As the drive is heating up metals tend to contract a bit and "gaps widen somewhat"...get it re-adjusted as you are close but not quite there yet.

Then go with a good PAO synthetic gearlube and if you want a "branded product" for MARINE...Amsoil has a good one.
I must have really been asleep in physics class cause all these years I thought that metal expanded when heated, not contracted. But if you really want to try the "miracle in can", then the Amsoil suggestion is probably the very best way to go as it WILL reduce heat buildup. I just thought that since the addition of a drive shower didn't help, a change to syn. lube to reduce heat wouldn't do the trick either. It really won't cost that much time or $ to try..Go for it. --- Jer

Last edited by jpclear; 09-17-2005 at 11:52 AM.
Old 09-17-2005, 12:01 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by jpclear
I must have really been asleep in physics class cause all these years I thought that metal expanded when heated, not contracted. But if you really want to try the "miracle in can", then the Amsoil suggestion is probably the very best way to go as it WILL reduce heat buildup. I just thought that since the addition of a drive shower didn't help, a change to syn. lube to reduce heat wouldn't do the trick either. It really won't cost that much time or $ to try..Go for it. --- Jer
I always thought..and water to ice is a good example...that as it gets colder and freezes it expands and cracks unwinterized boat engine blocks...

oui..oui..jp?

....you must have gone to a French university

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 09-17-2005 at 12:05 PM.
Old 09-17-2005, 12:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Hydrocruiser
I always thought..and water to ice is a good example...that as it gets colder and freezes it expands and cracks unwinterized boat engine blocks...

oui..oui..jp?

....you must have gone to a French university
Water is a bit of an oddity. It is always most dense at 4 degrees celsius. Under that temp, it expands getting colder, above that temp, it expands getting hotter.

Metal expands as it gets hotter.
Old 09-17-2005, 01:28 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by sleeper_dave
Water is a bit of an oddity. It is always most dense at 4 degrees celsius. Under that temp, it expands getting colder, above that temp, it expands getting hotter.

Metal expands as it gets hotter.
yea yea..what was I thinking...40 lashes

The metall(s) that expands most with temperature also contracts most. Cast iron does not give much in either direction whereas softer metalls will.
Old 09-17-2005, 04:35 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Hydo, you may of had a brain fart on this expansion thing but you know your chit about oil.
Old 09-17-2005, 10:36 PM
Registered

Actually, as water (the liquid) changes to it's solid,crystalline form (ice) it's volume increases. Thereafter, as the temperature decreases further, ice, like any other solid contracts.

Achtung, Hydro! Thats German science! --- Jer
Old 09-18-2005, 04:47 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by jpclear
Actually, as water (the liquid) changes to it's solid,crystalline form (ice) it's volume increases. Thereafter, as the temperature decreases further, ice, like any other solid contracts.

Achtung, Hydro! Thats German science! --- Jer
I think jap technology is ahead of the German's these days..A Mouse Is An Elephant Built By The Japanese

Quick Reply: Mobil 1, will it help ???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.