Small block 383 build-up >

Small block 383 build-up

Notices

Small block 383 build-up

Old 09-20-2005, 02:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Small block 383 build-up

I guess i'll put my $.02 in. I.m running a 400 SBC that my friend the race engine builder 'threw' together. He had me go 5.7" I-beam rods as they are lighter than 6" and therefore easier to balance without adding heavy metal. He was going to use Eagle rods but when he got them they were so poorly machined he sent them back. I ended up with a set of Manley rods he had sitting around. I went with the Comp XM270HR cam. He had also experenced the problem that Crane had and he only uses stuff he is sure about. He dosen't recommend over 9:1 cr with iron heads and 10:1 with aluminum unless running race fuel. If you are running a closed cooling system you will have to clearence the water pump bracket for the front 'flywheel'. It makes lots of torque and I have to be gentile with the throttle so I don't blow the Alpha off the transom. It idles great and pulls a 14 1/2x20 at 5200 rpm at 60mph on a heavy boat (4200lbs).
Good luck with the stroker build.
Old 09-20-2005, 03:40 PM
Registered

Re: Small block 383 build-up

The rods included with the Scat kit are already profiled for no cam clearance issues. The only block work (other than the .030" over bore), was to have the notches ground for crankshaft clearance. Balancing the assembly was cake according to the guy who did the balancing. He said everything was real close right from the start. I got the kit with SRP forged dished pistons. Along with my 64cc iron heads, I get 9.5:1 compression.
I usually run 92 octane, but I haven't had any problems with 89. I run 12 deg. inital on the distributor.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ECeptor
I assume all of you guys with hot SBC are using Bravo, not Alpha, outdrives - right?

Stock alpha drive here... been a few years haven't hurt it.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:52 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonic30ss
Fastbowtie- Did you change the injectors to make that kind of power? The stock Merc injectors are only 19 lbs/hr. I've two comlplete engines (minus the top of a piston ) sitting in my garage now. I'm trying to figure out what to do with them, one ran great one ran like crap.
I would assume so, the motor was actually built, dyno'd, and tuned by a company in Ct by the previous owner. I was given the build sheet and dyno charts when I purchased the boat. I know they went through two ECU's during the dyno testing, and am not sure if they had the second one reprogrammed or not but it picked up about 10 HP peak and about 15 ft/lbs peak, but was also up over the entire range. One thing not on the build sheet that I just discovered this week as well was a fluidamper.
Old 09-21-2005, 04:13 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 132 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by fastestbowtie
I would assume so, the motor was actually built, dyno'd, and tuned by a company in Ct by the previous owner. I was given the build sheet and dyno charts when I purchased the boat. I know they went through two ECU's during the dyno testing, and am not sure if they had the second one reprogrammed or not but it picked up about 10 HP peak and about 15 ft/lbs peak, but was also up over the entire range. One thing not on the build sheet that I just discovered this week as well was a fluidamper.
Do you know the name of the shop that did the work?
I'm in CT,and I like the injection I just could not get one to run properly. I belive it would run great with a more modern ECU, well you are proof of that.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:07 PM
Registered

I've been surfing arround a lot and I think I've found what I need. Do you have any experience with Allied Motors (strokerkits.com). They have set called Complete 383 Stroker minus the block (starting from $2550). To be sure about components I would be very hapy to hear your comments. Here are the main components of the kit:
-Dart Iron Eagle Platinum heads (64cc) what would be better 200 or 215 intake ports?
-SCAT Cast-Steel 80-60-6 material 3.75" crank- is it strong enough?
-SCAT I-Beam 4340 5.7 rods (3/8" bolts) do I need upgrade to 7/16" bolts?
-SRP forged pistons (9.5 : 1 with 64cc)
-Plasma-ceramic moly rings
-Rod and Main Bearings (Cleveite-77)
-Complete set of gaskets
-Three piece roller timing Chain
-Harden pushrods
-High Strength Steel Alloy Roller TIP rocer arms
-Cam and lifters. Is Crane XM 276HR good or you recommend something else. One more problem with cam- I'm not 100% sure hydraulic roller cam/lifters are suitable for my block. Originaly block had hydraulic cam, but casting nr. (14093638 GM 5.7 LG) shows that hydro-roller cam is possible. What do you think? Should I have just XM or XM retro fit cam/lifters?
In addition to that kit I planned to get Edlbrock RPM Air-Gap intake manifold. How would that fit with the kit?
And finally, could somebody just roughly estimate HP and torque of my engine.
Lots of questions (hope somebody had time te read them).
Would be very hapy to have some answers because I can't make any mistakes (all the stuff will be sent to Europe and I don't have chance to change them).
Thanks
Old 10-13-2005, 06:07 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Small block 383 build-up

Originally Posted by Liberator21
AC, Not to hijack the thread, but, I want to change the cam in my 383 (similar setup to yours). I'm currently using the XM268H, and I'm unhappy with it (dies at around 4600rpm). The XR276HR was recommended to me. What's the difference between that and the XM276HR you're using? You say it idles smooth, smooth enough to get away with GLM manifolds (stock style)? I just want to get the facts straight before I tear into the engine.
Thanks.
Hey Lib, sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. I had that cam in my motor before and didn't seem to have any problems with it, I just wanted more power. As far as the difference between the two cams running, you can tell a little that it's a bigger cam, but not much. I would think the GLM manifolds would work fine with that cam.

The Alpha SS I finally got mounted on the boat jumped my RPMs from 5400 to 58-5900 rpm and now run around 79-80 mph (I'm gonna need external steering soon
) I'm going to prop it up to run around 5300 rpm again and probably pick up a couple MPH.

Esty: Get a forged crank. the 3/8 rod bolts should be fine. 200cc heads will work well, but I'd get the bigger heads cause I'm me. The cam is a Comp Cams cam not a Crane Cam in case that causes problem down the road in questions. To run a roller cam in an LG block (I assume it has the Octopus plate standoffs in the lifter galley) You usually have to tap the standoffs, and get the retainer plate from a Chevy dealer for the cam, not to mention the correct timing chain for the retainer.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:13 PM
Registered

AC,
Thanks for the info.
When you say that you had that cam in your motor before, and didn't seem to have any problems, which one were you referring to?
Also, don't you think estonian would be better off using the Comp retro fit roller setup instead of the Chevy stuff?
Old 10-14-2005, 02:38 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lib, I mean I had the smaller cam you mentioned in the motor before and it seemed to work OK. With the ported heads and such I figured I'd take advantage of the increased flow potential and cam it bigger. As far as going with a retro-fit cam, I wouldn't. The Stock GM way is a good way to have it set up. The retainer plate works pretty well and you can have the lifters installed and have the motor spun over on the engine stand and not have everything fall out. Plus it will be cheaper to go that route, with the exception of the timing chain, but its only marginally more expensive than a conventional setup. Nice thing with the stock setup, you don't have to run a cam button, due to the retainer plate. Just my .02, has worked well for me.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:23 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonic30ss
Do you know the name of the shop that did the work?
I'm in CT,and I like the injection I just could not get one to run properly. I belive it would run great with a more modern ECU, well you are proof of that.
Sorry Sonic30SS, I just saw this post. I believe the shop was called Horsepower Engineering, I have the paperwork at the house I could look it up for you. Send me a PM.

Quick Reply: Small block 383 build-up

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.