454 H.O. that wont stay together >

454 H.O. that wont stay together

Notices

454 H.O. that wont stay together

Old 09-18-2005, 08:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 454 H.O. that wont stay together

I have lost 3 454 HO's in the last 2 months....any ideas?
Old 09-18-2005, 08:46 PM
Registered

Default Re: 454 H.O. that wont stay together

Every engine goes down in the say manner...runs great at low rpm, then when tryn to obtain wot,the oil pressure fals off and I loose the motor. Never make it past 4700rpm.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:06 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs down Re: 454 H.O. that wont stay together

Get your motors done by a professional, those results indicate someone does not know hat they are doing!

Ray @ Raylar
Old 09-18-2005, 09:44 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Can you be more specific.
Old 09-19-2005, 12:53 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

Maybe something that does not get changed each time you have changed the motor. Do you have an oil cooler with braided lines. The lines could be swelled shut causing low oil pressure.
Old 09-19-2005, 03:56 AM
Registered

Join the club I went through 4 brand new 454HO's crate motors last year. I lost 1 orginal motor in early june. lost all oil in motor becuase of a faulty oil line. I didn't want to waste time, so I had a local boat mechanic rip both motors out and install 2 new GM crate motors. It was the season from hell after that. I never did find the exact cause why, they would blow, each time they would eat the pistons. brand new carburators, brand new fresh water coooling, brand new intakes, brand new oil lines, brand new wires,plugs and filters. The nearest thing I could figure is the motor installer was using the same coolers each time. First set lasted about 2 hrs., second set lasted 10 minutes. I finally took the blocks and heads out this year and had them rebuilt, this time from a engine rebuilder. Had all surfaces macihined, had all cylinders homed, had all new racing pistons, cam and valves installed, had pistons and crank balanced. Installed all new coolers and oil lines. new DUI distributor and cap, new rev limiters, new DUI wires, new plugs, new water pumps, . Plus I went over board and had prochargers installed, and all the extra expense of that, like rejetted carb's, installed larger fuel new gages and fuel pumps new fuel lines and pick ups, new cooling water lines and new oil lines. Cost me 18000.00 per motor (36,000.00) plus 11500.00 for prochargers. seems to be running good, have about 20 hrs. on them now. Not sure if prochargers where worth it yet, not seeing much performance gain from orginal motors but still re-proping boat, haven't got that right yet.
BOAT= Bring Out Another Thousand
Old 09-19-2005, 11:33 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink Re: 454 H.O. that wont stay together

Again, I caution every performance boater to quit shopping in catalogues and buying automotive crate motors for use on boats. Marine high performance boat motors have special needs, specs. clearances and parts. Just in the oiling system alone the needs are special with oil pans, pumps and pickups. Cams are uniquely different as well as valve springs, valves and valve train. Add to that specific clearances and assembly differences. Boaters need to remember you can't by a Mercedes for the price of a Yugo! If you are not a qualified or a marine engine builder and you don't assemble your own motors, get to a professional engine builder or engine company and get a proper marine motor with a warranty. Boating is suppossed to be recreation-FUN!, not such as hassle and money loss! The problem sounds like a bad dream and the fix sounds like a broken record or skipping disc!!on these threads.

ADVICE,THE WISE MAN DON"T NEED IT AND THE FOOL WON"T HEED IT!!

Ray @ Raylar
Old 09-19-2005, 12:25 PM
Registered

I have a pair of 454ho crate motors that have run 500hrs with blowers and still runs great . made a few changes, cams and oil pan. but for the most part stock. One of you guys said thr pistons keep blowing. I would have to say to lean. if the rods were spinning I would say oil problem. I have seen guys blow a motor and put in a new one with out cleaning oil cooler and lines , this took out the new motor fast. Just my thoughts.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:15 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've gone 3 seasons on my crate ZZ502/502. Nickerson re-did my carb and jetted it a bit on the fat side, I left it like that so no lean running. Big oil cooler and the best oil I can get my paws on. Plus it gets changed every 15-20 hrs. Mostly we're at cruise speed (wife is with me allot). Also been in a couple of poker runs and gone just about WFO 25 miles at a time.

The ZZ still purrs like a kitten...knock on wood

I had a pro set the engine up before dropping it in the boat. He changed the head gaskets. But I think that's about it. So far, I have'nt heard of any problems with ZZ502/502's used for marine applications. I think the right oil cooler, an oil temp gauge, and maybe a tad rich for jetting might help. Seems like it should be similar for a 454HO.

Last edited by Kidnova; 09-19-2005 at 08:22 PM.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:49 PM
Registered

Raylor,
Gm Is Selling The 454 Ho's As A Marine Motor, They Are 4 Bolt Mains, High Volume Oil Pans, They Are Not Car Motors. As For Intakes I Bought New Elbrock Intakes, As For Lean Could Be But On The First Set Of Motors I Ran The Same Holley 4 Barrel 650's That I Ran On The Orginal Motors And On My Last Set I Bought Brand New Holley 4 Barrel 850's. On The Original 454 Ho's I Had In My Boat I Was Running Holley 650's And They Ran Great, Beat On Those Motors, Ran Wot For Hours With No Problems Until I Lost A Oil Line. Why Is It Always These 454's You Hear About Having Problems. Seems Like Some People Run Them With Out A Problem And Some Can't Keep Them Together For 10 Minutes. Could Very Well Be The Installers Fault, But You Would Think If Your A Marine Mechanic You Could At Least Put In A Crate Motor Without A Problem.

Quick Reply: 454 H.O. that wont stay together

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.