Help Needed - TPS Adjustment

Notices

Help Needed - TPS Adjustment

Old 09-19-2005, 12:34 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help Needed - TPS Adjustment

Guys, I really need help to understand how to adjust the Throttle Position Sensor "TPS" on one of my 500 EFI's.

I have a scan tool and it is showing a lower voltage then the other engine which is running stronger.

I changed the standard Keff? (spelling) controls out to the nice Livorsi billet controls and have tracked the change in performance to the TPS adjustment.

Do you have to remove the TPS or do you adjust it right on the engine and how?

Thanks in advance.

Dock
Old 09-19-2005, 04:20 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Default Re: Help Needed - TPS Adjustment

Originally Posted by sutphen30
adjust it right there,,loosen the screws,adjust for .60volts,,then put to wot,check volts,,should be 4.5v or greater.this with,engines not running,key on.may have to go back and forth w/ adjustment to hit target voltages.
screws are usually torx bits
Thanks Sutphen,

I was hoping someone would respond before I left the office. Hope to make the adjustment tonight.

Dock
Old 09-19-2005, 10:14 PM
Registered

I don't think the TPS is adjustable. Adjustment of the throttle plate stop screw will change the TPS voltage, but I would not mess with it.

Anywhere from .4 to .8 volts at 0% throttle position is fine. I don't think your performance issue has anything to do with the TPS voltage. How did you make that diagnosis?

Dave
Old 09-20-2005, 07:11 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Dave_N
I don't think the TPS is adjustable. Adjustment of the throttle plate stop screw will change the TPS voltage, but I would not mess with it.

Anywhere from .4 to .8 volts at 0% throttle position is fine. I don't think your performance issue has anything to do with the TPS voltage. How did you make that diagnosis?

Dave
What Sutphen said above was exactly how it could be adjusted. I set both at .60 at zero throttle and still got different readings at top end but close to 4.5 on each.

I have a friend in Ohio that found his voltage to be off and said it did have an effect on overall performance.

Just trying to cover all bases and make sure everything is within spec. I checked the signal to the IAC last night also and plan to run the boat tonight on the scan tool and see what the count is on the IAC.

Thanks