Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
ZZ502 DUD questions >

ZZ502 DUD questions

Notices

ZZ502 DUD questions

Old 10-05-2005, 08:50 AM
Firewalker

Default Re: ZZ502 DUD questions

The oil pressure loss it not from the lack of oil, that much I do know. It spit out maybe 1/2 a quart. The pressure loss as best as I can tell was from foaming oil. And now apparently temp.
The boat will be at Speedmaster Marine in TO, on monday night, and the motor is going to Active ASAP.
F- it, I am paying to make it right. I also figure I may as well get Active to pump up the motor a little as I am going to get them to go through it.

RT

Old 10-05-2005, 12:04 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Firewalker
F- it, I am paying to make it right. I also figure I may as well get Active to pump up the motor a little as I am going to get them to go through it.

RT
Suggestion: If you want to add some ponies without breaking the bank, spend it on the cam/heads. See Chris Straub for details. I choose to use the GM/Edlebrock oval port heads and have them ported. See pic.

Last edited by ROTAX454; 08-06-2007 at 12:40 PM.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:12 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ROTAX454
Suggestion: If you want to add some ponies without breaking the bank, spend it on the cam/heads. See Chris Straub for details. I choose to use the GM/Edlebrock oval port heads and have them ported. See pic.
Those are the heads that come on a ZZ502...
Old 10-05-2005, 08:16 PM
Registered

Thumbs up Re: ZZ502 DUD questions

Originally Posted by Pat McPherson
Those are the heads that come on a ZZ502...
yessiree. But, ported with all valves, springs, hardware changed. Roller rockers and morel lifters added.

Last edited by ROTAX454; 10-05-2005 at 08:28 PM.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:32 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How much gain did you see from the porting on thoose heads?
Old 10-07-2005, 08:20 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Iron,
Richard should be on Crocketts dyno sometime in the near future. The Edelbrocks I must say responded very well to porting. I don't have the numbers in front of me but I want to say an average gain of 27 cfm was reached. The cams for these engines are very mild. My thoughts the engines should make around 575HP and be very easy on parts.

Chris
Old 10-09-2005, 09:24 AM
Registered

Chris, I have all of the polished pieces back from the polisher. The billet stuff along with the cast valve covers look great. Some Zoot on them and won't have to do much to them except show them off. Motor being dressed next weekend (cooler, electrics, electronics) on a KE bell housing bracket. Then off the Tyler for some running. I choose to use the motor that had about 4 hours running time (in stock form) rather then and other crate motor that has 0 time.

I will keep you in the loop. Belated grads on the wedding. You did go thru with it, didn't ya?
Old 10-09-2005, 11:36 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read thru most of the replies on your post and didnt see any questons about your fuel system. The 330hp Mark IV you took out had a mechanical fuel pump, right? So what type of pump are you running now? If its a electric pump, it should be mounted low, and the anti siphon/checkball valve removed(@ the tank). I burned up a piston on 1 of my ZZ's in 98 when I first installed them. Turned out the electric pump cant suck good volume thru the checkball, resulting in low fuel pressure and insufficent volume to the motor. After installing a 1/2 fuel system, with 100gph pumps, the prob solved. Boat has ran great ever since. Never had oil prob you spoke about but I always had a 3"x18" oil cooler with 5/8" lines, I ran the 6qt pans for many hrs without any issues, but did put in the GM 8qt pans last year during freshen up's
Old 10-11-2005, 07:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Stingray69
I may have missed it, but with a crossover, you should run a pressure relief valve that dumps overboard, when it sees high pressure.

Could compromise gaskets.

I doubt that the flame arrestor is adequate for a 502. Most will agree that 3 X 14 or 5 x 9 is required.
Great suggestions. I will add, regardless of you choose to use or not use a recir water pump, adding the merc pressure relief valve is good water pressure insurance protection. Considering you are running an external motor driven sea pump, right?
Old 10-14-2005, 09:21 AM
Firewalker

Well, the progress report looks like this. I took the boat to Speedmaster Marine in Toronto, and they have already taken the motor out and found a few issues. ( like 1/2 inch reach plugs in a head that requires 3/4 ). The motor is now at Active engines ( as seen on Dream car garage ) and they are going to dyno it before and after to see what is up.

RT

Quick Reply: ZZ502 DUD questions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.