New mild power - go local or... >

New mild power - go local or...

Notices

New mild power - go local or...

Old 09-26-2005, 08:55 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New mild power - go local or...

Just curious - if we keep the PQ, I have a feeling it will need at least a freshening in the next year or two (400 hours on the motors), and I'm kicking around the idea of upping the power.

Now there have been a gazillion threads on here about the the wisdom (or lack thereof) of upping the power on the 310/330 hp 454's, which is what I have (454 LX MPI, 330 hp). So I've been kicking around the idea of pulling my motors, either selling them or trading them in, and dropping in a set of 454 or 502 Mags.

For something like that, would you go with a local shop or one of the bigger engine builders? What would a decent set of rebuilt or new 502 Mags run? Can I reuse anything from the 454's, or would I have to go whole hog?

Boat is a 1996 Powerquest 290 Enticer
Old 09-26-2005, 09:09 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Re: New mild power - go local or...

How about a pair of 496HOs? I replaced my 454 MAG MPI with a 496HO and it's been great so far. I bought mine from my local merc dealer. His price was only a few hundred bucks more than any advertised price I could find. Deal locally if you can. I've read about too many long distance horror stories.
Old 09-26-2005, 12:30 PM
Registered

I like the idea of a 496 HO, but I just can't see putting that kind of money into this boat. It seems like there is a big price difference between, say, a 502 and a newer 496. I'm sure it's just supply and demand, and 496 prices will fall as more and more of them get into the market.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:43 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dock, go to Millennyium Marine in Harrison Twp. when it's time for freshening. Shipping costs alone make it impractical to have a big name east or west coast builder rebuild your engines. Lenny builds a lot of engines and has a pretty good reputation. He rebuilt mine and after 2 hard seasons they have the same oil pressure and no visible blow by from the breathers. You could make it a clone of a 454-420hp by putting in forged pistons, new cams, intakes, 800cfm carbs. You would have to get new heads but for a little more than the cost of rebuilding your existing heads, you could get the Edelbrock aluminum heads with marine valves.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:05 AM
Registered

If you want 496's, why not stroke the 454 you've got with a forged crank and upgrade the pistons to forged as well? Pick up a set of Merlins with Inconel valves. It will be cheaper than buying a set of 496's.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by PatriYacht
Dock, go to Millennyium Marine in Harrison Twp. when it's time for freshening. Shipping costs alone make it impractical to have a big name east or west coast builder rebuild your engines. Lenny builds a lot of engines and has a pretty good reputation. He rebuilt mine and after 2 hard seasons they have the same oil pressure and no visible blow by from the breathers. You could make it a clone of a 454-420hp by putting in forged pistons, new cams, intakes, 800cfm carbs. You would have to get new heads but for a little more than the cost of rebuilding your existing heads, you could get the Edelbrock aluminum heads with marine valves.
Lenny was who I was thinking of - he did some work for me earlier this year when I was chasing water in the oil. Had me fixed up in less than 24 hrs so we could make it to SOTW. Fantastic service and he didn't bend me over for it, either.

If we keep this boat, I'm really think hard about ditching the Merc MPI and going with a carb - seems like it would be fairly easy to get 450 hp or so, if I didn't have to worry about remapping the injection. And those systems have to be worth a little something on e-bay...
Old 09-27-2005, 10:44 PM
Registered

Dock if you are interested in rebuilding and modifyling what you have we can give you as much as 650+ hp from your 454's with some mods and without blowers. Give me a call or shoot me an Email if you woulld like to know more.
Thx Mike
Roccard Marine Engines
[email protected]
roccardmarineengines.com
Old 09-28-2005, 07:28 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also his prices are resonable. You have to be carefull how much money you pour into your boat because you'll never get it back. You really have to love this stuff.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:37 AM
Registered

Smile Re: New mild power - go local or...

Take advice from a guy who has been there done that,I spent too many hours removing engines,rebuilding engines to increase horsepower and the bull that goes with it.Getting people to do it right the first time will be the biggest problem.My suggestion BRAND NEW IN THE BOX!I spent almost double what I expected and still wasnt pleased.Good luck.Brian
Old 09-28-2005, 12:49 PM
Registered

Hey D.R.
Lenny build a 454/420 for my 357. Awesome guy to deal with. Very Honest and the engine ran supperb!. Just drop a pair of HP500's in there and be done with it Hope you had a good season on the PQ. I know I did

Quick Reply: New mild power - go local or...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.