Question for Raylar

Notices

Question for Raylar

Old 09-27-2005, 04:06 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for Raylar

What would be the best Raylar package for a stock 2004 496HO with out pulling the engine and with stock Mercruiser exhaust. What would be the hp/torque? The boat is a 2004 Nordic Rage.

Would the 1.7:1 or the 1.8:1 roller lifters be best?

Thanks!
Old 09-28-2005, 11:50 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Smile Re: Question for Raylar

Belive it or not most people who do installations say its preferrable and quicker to pull the motor. Most charge about $400-$500 to pull and reinstall and it saves on accidental damage to the boat fiberglass, paint and upolstery. The best kit for a simple 100 HP is our BCK103 kit which has heads, cam , intake manifold, stainless roller rockers and ARP head bolts and Cometic head gaskets. We call this a "plug and play" kit because the only thing you need that does not come in the kit is a tube of silconce gasket adhesive. Everything else goes back on without modifications and the stock exhaust manifolds work just fine. The 100HP is real and has been certified on 5 seperate independant dyno tests and in the results boat owners have achieved in their individual boats. You will have to increase your prop pitch size from 2 to 4 " of pitch depending on your boat type, weight and number of engines. If I can be of any addtional help, call me toll free at 866 496-8181.

Thank You,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 09-28-2005, 02:15 PM
Registered

Default Re: Question for Raylar

Based on what you are saying can I assume that the same result can be had when starting with a 2003 496mag?
Old 09-28-2005, 02:30 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by boatbunny24
Based on what you are saying can I assume that the same result can be had when starting with a 2003 496mag?
The ECU program is different. I believe this would require some attention.
Dave
Old 09-28-2005, 03:46 PM
Registered

Other than that you can go from 375hp to 525hp.
Would it also make sense if purchasing and you plan on upgrading soon just go with the 496/mag than upgrade to 525 with the BCK103 kit?

Make for some interesting thinking.
Old 09-28-2005, 03:54 PM
Registered

Other than that you can go from 375hp to 525hp.
Would it also make sense if purchasing and you plan on upgrading soon just go with the 496/mag than upgrade to 525 with the BCK103 kit?

Make for some interesting thinking.
Absolutely!
Dustin Whipple could probably just upload the HO program to the Mag ECU for a small fee and then you could run Ray's standard package.
It would be nice to just have Dustin program the whole package on the dyno but the above would certainly work.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:07 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The cam shaft and ECU program in the Mag are different than the HO.
Can be done, but you have to dig in a little deeper...
Old 09-28-2005, 08:39 PM
Registered

Rage,

The extra hp with the BCK 103 kit is real. I am seeing a big difference. But you will be going into a region where you should have full hydraulic steering. And cool that drive with a shower. An increase in prop pitch is a given. Consider a higher performance oil cooler. PM me if you want more info.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:35 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Pat McPherson
The cam shaft and ECU program in the Mag are different than the HO.
Can be done, but you have to dig in a little deeper...
The cam is changed out regardless...The only hiccup is the ECM. All else is equal.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:27 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool Re: Question for Raylar

Just my opinion, but if I was ordering a new boat with a 496, I would talk to the builder and make sure he can order the Merc 496MAG and the Bravo X or XR drive, and an addtional 496HO ecm. I would then order this package along with hydraulic sterring. This type of order should only add about $1-2K to price of the boat over what you would spend ordering the 496HO. Then you can order and install our BCK103 Raylar kit, and for about $9-10K total more than a boat with just a 496MAG and Bravo 1, you have a boat with 525HP, upgraded Bravo drive and hydraulic steering. This saves about $30-35K over ordering the boat with a Merc HP525 "blue motor" and same steering. If you are buying a twin engine boat the savings are HUGE!! Don't worry about getting the HO ECM in the deal if the cost is more than $750. We have supplied every customer of ours who has installed our kits with a HO ECM that we pickup in the parts market. We have had several customers take this route already with big smiles on their faces and a fatter wallet in their pocket!

Buy Smart, boats are expensive enough!!

Ray @ Raylar

Last edited by Raylar; 09-29-2005 at 10:30 AM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply: Question for Raylar

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.