Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Store with gas tanks full or empty? >

Store with gas tanks full or empty?

Notices

Store with gas tanks full or empty?

Old 10-05-2005, 10:31 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Store with gas tanks full or empty?

Originally Posted by Dave M
I think the liquid does actually expand. I filled my tank on Sunday and ran the boat for about 1.5hr. I had to of used at least 15 gallons. Yesterday I went to fill it up before going boating again and it only took 3 gallons to fill? We had a substantial change in temp and barometer between Sun and tues.
Actually, you're right I just looked it up. Gasoline expands .7% for every 10°F increase in temperature. For example, 100 gallons of gas will expand to 103.5 gallons with a 50°F increase in temperature. This increase in volume can cause the problem of gas pushing out the vent if the vent has a liquid seal. As long as the vent it tapped into the vapor pocket allowing the vapor to purge out (and in) of the tank, should have no problem... Vapor expands to even a greater degree. More reason to be sure the vent does not have a liquid seal....

Last edited by 4mulafastech; 10-06-2005 at 06:37 AM.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Store with gas tanks full or empty?

Startron Enzyme Fuel Treatment(Starbrite),has anybody used this. I am trying to get some further feed back before I use this product this winter. They claim that by using highly specialized enzymes they can modify how gas burns (more complete and uniform combustion). They also claim that it cleans fuel delivery systems and combustion chambers,stabilizes fuel chemistry,disperses water and reduces emissions.What do you think? I use too fill tank and use stabilizer,but with 10% ethanol in gas,I am still undecided.