Removing floor >

Removing floor

Notices

Removing floor

Old 10-07-2005, 08:16 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Removing floor

What is the best tool in your opinion for removing the fiberglass floor and inside transom. My 5" air cutting wheel is sure taking a long time to cut through. This is on a 1978 Formula.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:20 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Removing floor

cut off wheels don't cut to well with anything but steel really, they just clog up and then burn their way thru. What I have found to work best if you have clearance for it is one of the dewalt cordless circ saws with the 5 inch blade if that won't fi the sawzall with a nice fine toth blade works too, after all chipping probably isn't that big of a deal if you are pulling the floor out yo have plenty of glass work to do around the area anyway.
Old 10-09-2005, 01:35 PM
Registered

i have used a small air reciprocating saw with a sawzall blade cut down, then once the perimeter was cut proceeded to remove the layers with a 3' wide brick chisel.obviously being careful of course.
Old 10-09-2005, 02:17 PM
Registered

Received 156 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by monstaaa
i have used a small air reciprocating saw with a sawzall blade cut down, then once the perimeter was cut proceeded to remove the layers with a 3' wide brick chisel.obviously being careful of course.

This is what I did cut the blade down. (Jig saw blade)
Regulate the air pressure going to it.
Otherwise the vibration makes yor hand so itchy
you will wanna bite your hand
Old 10-10-2005, 10:42 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

anytime you guys do any fiberglass cutting work.....dust yourself with talcom powder before you start. It fills your pores so the fiberglass wont get in there and itch ya. And when you done take the COLDEST shower you can stand before going to hot....that will was off the fiberglass before you pores open up from the heat.

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 10-10-2005, 11:47 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wally
anytime you guys do any fiberglass cutting work.....dust yourself with talcom powder before you start. It fills your pores so the fiberglass wont get in there and itch ya. And when you done take the COLDEST shower you can stand before going to hot....that will was off the fiberglass before you pores open up from the heat.
But the 3 days of itching is all part of the fun.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:09 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wally
That's great info Wally. You can also get disposable zip up paper suits from Home Depot etc. that really help keep that stuff off you.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:14 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah, about the only exposed skin I have is around my respirator and gogles.

Thanks for the information. I have a small coordless circular saw, did not even think to use it.
Old 10-10-2005, 06:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I cut the deck of my boat to install a hatch I initially used a cordless jig saw. Took forever. After the 1st line I decided to try my cordless circular saw. Went thru like butter. I used the jig saw to clean up the corners and finish the cuts of the circular saw and saved lots of time and effort.
Old 10-10-2005, 06:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This brings back memories. I restored an old 70's jet boat about 5 years ago and had to replace the floor. I used a 5" circular saw and a saws all in some areas. I got carried away with the circular saw and forgot to check the depth at one point of the adventure....Cut a 3 inch slot in the hull at about midships. Good think fiberglass is repairable!

Quick Reply: Removing floor

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.