What Exhaust For A Small Block >

What Exhaust For A Small Block

Notices

What Exhaust For A Small Block

Old 10-11-2005, 11:21 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What Exhaust For A Small Block

OK, here goes another theoretical question. I am considering upgrading the Exhaust on my 20 ft Checkmate with a small block. I currently have either stock Merc exhaust manifolds or stock type replacement manifolds, which run to what are most likely taller risers (would have to see some others or get some dimensions to know for sure) which then angle down and run through the transom below the swim platform (through the transom only, no mufflers). I am looking to upgrade to either better performing tubular type manifolds or possibly tubular style headers, but cost is a major factor. I would like to keep the cost under $1,000.00 but since I have only found one option that reasonable a feel a $2,000.00 figure will be more than likely (keep in mind this is only a $10,000.00 boat). Some I have considered are Revolution Marine (the only one under the 1k mark), EMI, Stainless Marine, and possibly Lightning Marine (the only long tube type I have found that is reasonable).
Old 10-12-2005, 02:48 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What Exhaust For A Small Block

I`m currently running Stainless Marine, but next ones are going to be Lightnings headers, to get all out of new motor, 383....coming for next seasons...hope.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:12 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any other suggestions or recomendations? By the way, who makes the "Lightning Headers", are they their own company or a division of another larger company? I wonder because I could not find any website on them.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:20 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by fastestbowtie
Any other suggestions or recomendations? By the way, who makes the "Lightning Headers", are they their own company or a division of another larger company? I wonder because I could not find any website on them.
Boatheaders.com
Old 10-12-2005, 12:14 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

Lightning Headers are made by Lightning Manufacturing in Lake Elsinore CA.

The system you would need is part number 310-40332 SB Low Port Below Platform Headers. We sell them at $1895.00. You can see the details of this system at http://www.cpperformance.com/detail.aspx?ID=6302

If cost is the major issue then the next choice would be Stainless Marines Small Block Hi-Torque which runs about $1599.00 http://www.cpperformance.com/detail.aspx?ID=2906

Further down the cost ladder would be the new SB Direct Flow Super Sport Exhaust system (Big Block version pictured below). It is just now being introduced. It's available in 2 versions which give you the option of either cast aluminum risers or stainless steel risers. The sytem with the aluminum risers runs $695.99 and with stainless risers $999.99. I don't have these listed on our web site yet but if you need more information I can post it or you can call us at 800-225-9871.
Attached Thumbnails What Exhaust For A Small Block-620-32994.jpg   What Exhaust For A Small Block-620-32996-mounted.jpg  

Last edited by CPPerformance; 10-12-2005 at 12:17 PM.
Old 10-12-2005, 02:58 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by S-24
I`m currently running Stainless Marine, but next ones are going to be Lightnings headers, to get all out of new motor, 383....coming for next seasons...hope.
did you pck up anything with the Stainless Marine????......or did you do a bunch of stuff at the same time............doug
Old 10-12-2005, 03:09 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

CP - what finish do you get for the $1895 ??.......Also, I need something that will replace the stock cast iron manifold and allow use of the stock Merc silent choice.....it is unclear (to me at least) in the text in the link....... I'll need two sets with shift bracket and remote oil filter bracket for each set...........doug
Old 10-12-2005, 04:22 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a set of Gil manifolds with Stainless Marine full length through transom dry tailpipes if you want them super cheap. Came off a 28 Cig TRS so the tails have to be cut or your transom has to be cut. Do you use your boat in salt water? Be careful of your selection of tubular headers if you do.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:45 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pull my trigger
CP - what finish do you get for the $1895 ??.......Also, I need something that will replace the stock cast iron manifold and allow use of the stock Merc silent choice.....it is unclear (to me at least) in the text in the link....... I'll need two sets with shift bracket and remote oil filter bracket for each set...........doug
The Lightning System I quoted above is finished in black powdercoat. If you want to keep your silent choice Lightning Headers won't work for you, they don't make a header that will bolt up to stock silent choice. They do have their own version of silent choice for use with their header though.

You can see all of the different applications Lightning has available by clicking on this link: http://www.cpperformance.com/product...ng-headers.htm

If you want to keep your existing Silent Choice then you'll have to take a look at the other brands available: Gil, Stainless Marine, IMCO, Hardin Marine or CMI. You can find them all by going to our exhaust index page at: http://www.cpperformance.com/product...st/default.htm

Last edited by CPPerformance; 10-12-2005 at 04:47 PM.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:54 PM
Registered

Do yourself a favor and purchase a set of Stainless Marine'S
Dollar for Dollar there one of best out there.

I have a set on my 383 and love them. I couldn't see myself spending close to 3 grand on cmi's, which is the brand I would have choosen.

I'm pushing 465 on the dyno with the stainless marine's attached. I know that I'm losing close to 30 hp not going with headers, but the extra money can go for alot more upgrades down the road.

Just my two cent's

Talk To Brownie, He Will Tell You

Brian

Quick Reply: What Exhaust For A Small Block

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.