Aeromotive-RED or BLACK pumps????? >

Aeromotive-RED or BLACK pumps?????

Notices

Aeromotive-RED or BLACK pumps?????

Old 10-12-2005, 09:52 AM
mjb
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aeromotive-RED or BLACK pumps?????

I am considering upgrading the fuel pumps/plumbing in my modified 502 mpi's. Aeromotive makes a nice marine(black) pump but I think it flows way more fuel than I need. They make smaller non marine(red) pumps that I think are better suited to my fuel flow needs...but they are not "marine".

Bret at Aeromotive gave me several reasons why I should use the marine version but I see alot of guys running the red pumps. How important is it to use a marine pump? Can some of you guys running red pumps advise on any problems you may have had.

Thanks-
Old 10-12-2005, 10:44 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Aeromotive-RED or BLACK pumps?????

Use a Weldon or keep what you have.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:53 AM
Registered

Not to get too far into hypotheticals, but if you had a fire or other fuel related issue, and Mr. Insurance finds non-marine fuel pumps on board.......
Old 10-12-2005, 11:52 AM
Registered

I think a lot of the guys running the red, like me, are running the red because we bought them a couple of years ago before the marine black was available. When I change out my A1000 red pump one day I suppose I'll go black. I would also like to know though if there is really any difference other than Coast Guard approval.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:46 PM
Registered

Weldon makes marine rated pumps.
Old 10-12-2005, 02:11 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by zahndok
I think a lot of the guys running the red, like me, are running the red because we bought them a couple of years ago before the marine black was available. When I change out my A1000 red pump one day I suppose I'll go black. I would also like to know though if there is really any difference other than Coast Guard approval.
When you bought a Whipple or ProCharger etc thats what they came with back then.Liable ?

I have been thru 3 reds on mine . Do a search on them here .I remember a post of motor failure becouse of this pump. They had some that the glue that holds the mag in the pump deteriorates and if you lucky it clogs up the filter after the pumps . But most people don't use a second filter after the pumps and it clogs up the injectors .Mine had the filter after the pumps and it stopped up. You could not even blow thru the filter. It had this black glue looking stuff in the pleats of the filter. They redesigned the pumps now.

My pumps were about 2 years old and they would not warranty it , a design flaw.They said it was due to the achole in the gas in the northern states and if ya buy gas on the water.The dates on my pumps were 2001-2002

Since then I bought a spare just encase.And on both of the old pumps I had them rebuilt [$90.00] .They seem to be doing fine now , But I have a spare in the boat at all times.

If I could afford a Weldon thats what I would have.Still would want a spare though

I bet the marine version is just Black anodized and has a coast guard sticker on it . The red one has the stainless +and- post on it also.

The date of manufacture is stamped on the bottom . Like 05-03.

Also they dont like sucking ,So mount it low in the boat. But thats like most HV pumps anyway.

Rob

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 10-12-2005, 03:58 PM
Registered

Do you know the production date when the upgraded red pumps with better glue started?
Old 10-12-2005, 05:46 PM
Registered

Regardless....if you can't justify a Weldon, use an SX.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:10 PM
Registered

I've been using my red Aeromotive on an EFI 598 for about 2 years now, no problems with it at all. I'll be replacing it this winter, but only because I'm stepping up the power and need a bigger pump. Maybe I'll use the old one for a pusher pump on my Dodge truck and make some serious diesel power!

-brian
Old 10-12-2005, 10:58 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by zahndok
The ONLY difference between the marine version and the red eliminator is the anodizing process and the fact the black one was submitted for uscg testing.This came from some one at aeromotive in product development when I called there in July. He said the internals are identical and also said anyone that has a red one that wants the better black finished outer sleeve could send it back to the factory and they would change it under 100$ ( it was like 60$ or 80$ ). I bought the red eliminator for 175$ less(I don't need the extra saltwater protection) and I added a Kenne Bell boosta-pump voltage controller to boost the output to match my needs. Smitty

Last edited by articfriends; 10-12-2005 at 11:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Aeromotive-RED or BLACK pumps?????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.