Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
What  marine pan should i buy or use? >

What marine pan should i buy or use?

Notices

What marine pan should i buy or use?

Old 10-18-2005, 08:35 AM
Only the Best Will Do!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What marine pan should i buy or use?

JT, thank you for mentioning our oil pan. We do have a GEN VI cast aluminum oil pan available. Our oil pans are 11 qts, and come complete with a dipstick, oil pump pick up, windage tray, and mounting hardware. Keith uses this oil pan on all of his non-drysumped engines. Give us a call at 386-446-0660.
Thank you
KEPP
Old 10-18-2005, 08:39 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by KEPP
JT, thank you for mentioning our oil pan. We do have a GEN VI cast aluminum oil pan available. Our oil pans are 11 qts, and come complete with a dipstick, oil pump pick up, windage tray, and mounting hardware. Keith uses this oil pan on all of his non-drysumped engines. Give us a call at 386-446-0660.
Thank you
KEPP
They are great pans!!Stefs makes a great pan too.Have used both with no problems and they both add around the same power.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:03 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought Steff's and never would again. They were several weeks late on delivery and didn't seem concerned at all that they were costing me time on the water. Once I got them nothing would fit on the motor, so my machine shop had to have them cut and welded on them to make the water pump fit. And yes the engine builder and I spoke with them at the time of order to spec out the accesories on the motor. Then when installing the motor mounts I spent hrs grinding on the mounts because they wouldn't fit around the huge bulges in the pan. I repaced them with Dan Olson pans which fit perfectly with all accessories and the motors mounts went on perfectly. They also cost about $300 less. Steff's will gouge you for every cut-out or accessorie provision. This was not a custom motor setup it was a staight forward Merc 900Sc drysump set up.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:57 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

42MTI,
I apologize for your problems. It is true our leadtime on pans can run 10 to 12 weeks when it should take 4 to 6 weeks to deliver. Sometimes we are optimistic on delivery dates trying to please the customer and when we are bogged down in the shop this comes back to bite us. I don't know when your problem occured but we now try to stock several marine configurations on the shelf because we know some of us have very short boating seasons.

As far as fitment, we block fit and flatness test every pan but as with every engine you do have some differences. I don't know who you spoke to but anytime we have a problem we will fix the pan immediately when it comes in and if the customer needs it back quickly we will pay overnight freight.

Dan Olson makes nice stuff, I don't know what his pricing is like but as long as you the customer is happy then thats what matters.

Chris Straub