Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Need brushes for Delco PMGR Starter for '95 454 Merc. >

Need brushes for Delco PMGR Starter for '95 454 Merc.

Notices

Need brushes for Delco PMGR Starter for '95 454 Merc.

Old 10-19-2005, 04:21 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Need brushes for Delco PMGR Starter for '95 454 Merc.

Just changed starter in friends boat. The wires attached to the brushes were broken. Am looking for a brush holder kit or just the two loose brushes. Tried searching everywhere. No longer avail from Merc. The starter # is 9000768 any suggestions. I wanted to save the starter as a spare. Thanks, Bill
Old 10-21-2005, 04:57 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Need brushes for Delco PMGR Starter for '95 454 Merc.

Marine Power Service shows the brush holder Merc part #811863 for $93.30..........Genuine Delco starter 336-1910 exact part #9000768 from local supplier $132.41.........you make the call.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:39 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Brushes

found parts from wagner. It is a pg 200 starter, and part # for brush assembly is D41-16 I can't support such thievery as $95 for a brush holder assembly. I can buy the whole starter shipped to me for less, that's not the point though. If I can fix up starters in spare time and make up a bunch of them in an evening in the shop, why pay top dollar and add to an already ridiculously expensive inventory of parts. I do all of this not to just save money, I am rebuilding Carburetors , because I have had too many problems with them, bent rods, worn throttle shafts, etc. same thing with alternators, too many reused/inferior quality parts , Have been doing this for many years with no comebacks. I guarantee all rebuilt ones I install. Ok I got into alternators recently, but I realized that I can build a better unit with all new transpo electronics that are the best and cost a little more than a competetive rebuilder will use. My friend paid $180 for a 12SI Delco alternator with the chrysler mount. It had brand new case , and spark arrestors. It was a whitewashed grave, inside was all reused junk. It lasted a few months. He needed one for his other motor and had to go back three times to get one that worked right. Local shops charge more for rebuilt units than a new one would cost me with my discount. This goes for carbs, Alt's and starters. All with problems. Nothing like paying $165for a rebuilt Mando alternator and having it last a few days and then have to replace it out the labor. Most rebuild shops have less than brilliant people that either don't know or don't care, or have a greedy pushy boss that says"put it together" "get it out the door" .
Plus what's the difference if the customer end's up getting the starter or alternator wet from a bilge full of water etc. I end up having to sell and install another one anyway. I can offer a quality part lets say installed for $200-$300 almost all profit and usually end up with servicable cores. If core is shot, maybe I can salvage a hard part like a nosepiece. I also make sure every boat meets SAE J1171 Specs. Many times have I got a non marine core, but at least it's still good for parts and I know what to do with them . BBB