Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
How difficult is it to pull a motor? >

How difficult is it to pull a motor?

Notices

How difficult is it to pull a motor?

Old 10-20-2005, 02:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How difficult is it to pull a motor?

It helps to have a backhoe! I probably can't add anything that hasn't aready been mentioned but I can share my experiences. I made the mistake of putting the motor in without the accessories (headers, alt, plumbing,etc). It is much easier to remove / reinstall with all of the accessories installed. It took me hours to get the headers back on with the motor in the boat. I am able to disconnect the hatch lift and lay it all the way back as my hatch is heavy and difficult to remove/ install as already mentioned. Also, if you have a bravo drive anyway, remove the drive! It only takes a few minutes to re-install it and makes setting the engine in much easier. The last time I reinstalled the motor (my second time), I started sat. morning at 9 am and I was on the lake floating by 3pm.
Attached Thumbnails How difficult is it to pull a motor?-misc-089.jpg  
Old 10-20-2005, 02:57 PM
Registered

Nice I am planning on leaving the hatch on and standing it straight up and my buddy has a lift in his garage that I am going to hang the pully off of and hoist up the motor then pull the boat out and get under the motor and get that dam bolt out good darn it!!!!!!
Old 10-20-2005, 03:17 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 252 Likes on 138 Posts

good luck with your project
Old 10-20-2005, 03:30 PM
Registered

I pulled mine out using a chain fall on a big tree branch in front of my house. (While my wife wasn't home!)
Old 10-20-2005, 04:32 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

My local shop (Lightning Bay Performance Marine in St. Petersburg, FL) pulled both my motors out of a 28 Cigarette in about two hours. They only charged me for labor. Putting them back in may be different.
Old 10-20-2005, 04:47 PM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 186 Posts

If its only a bolt you have to remove maybe a right angle drill will work.
Old 10-20-2005, 07:27 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave
My local shop (Lightning Bay Performance Marine in St. Petersburg, FL) pulled both my motors out of a 28 Cigarette in about two hours. They only charged me for labor. Putting them back in may be different.
In and out on a motor at a shop you are looking at paying about 8-10 hours of labor plus the time to extract the bolt which could be 10 minutes or could be 4 hours. They will also want to replace the fiber wahers and springs, Merc says to replace em every time you pull it but it's not tottaly neccesary. Does it take them 8-10 hours ? NO, but at most shope you pay a flat rate, you are paying for their experience and that's the way it should be if you ask me.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by hillbilly24
Pulling the motor realy isn't all that tough. Ussualy with boats the hardest part is getting a hoist that is high enough. You can't use a cherry picker unless you have a pretty small boat. If you have acess to an over head lift or a forklift you are god to go though. It only takes about an hour at most to get one out. You want to pull the drive first though don't try and pull and re intall the engine with the drive on, complete pain in the az if possible at all depending on your configuration. I always pull the lag bolts or through bolts out of the stringer and take the whole mount with the engine, the biggest reason for doing this is that it is a good chance to check for wet or roten stringers. If the bolts are wet you have problems. Other then that just find the easiest way to disconect each sytem without making a mess. Pull the power steering lines at the valve not the pump, if you stop by a shop they will probably have a coupler that will join the two lines so they don't drip all over the place, they ship crate engines with these couplers so most shops have a few sitting around. You can ussualy pull the ruber exhuast couplers loose and then slide them back clear of the riser so ou don't ahve to pull any of the exhuast, unless you have solid tails, then something has to come out. make sure you keep track of the fiber washers and springs when pulling the rear moun bolts, they are important for re assembaly. When you go back together it helps to glue the fiber washers in place with something to retain them and the springs while you set the engine in. As far as electrical all you have to disconect is the 10 pin harness, teh battery calbe from the starter, the trimp pump power wire from the stater, the mercathode wireing if you have one, the wires are all labled by color on the mercathode box so you don't have to worry about marking them, then just make ure you unhook all grounds, there are often more then one so make sure you get them all. Fuel is easy just one hose unless you have an aftermarket fuel system with a return. I like to use a bolt to plug the fuel line from the tank in case the anti siphin valve has been removed or fails, you could wind up with a blige full of fuel the next morning oherwise. The water inlet hose is easiest to unhook at the trasnom. It can be a pain to get to the hose clamp depending on which way they faced it when they put it together but they also ussualy strap the inlet hose to the engine in a few places so is you unhook it from the raw water pump you have to worry about un doing a bunch of other clamps to free it from the engine. Last but not least if the engine has an oil drain hose that connects to an oil exchanger or the drain plug make sure it is free before lifting the engine. Then just lift it slowly and make sure you didn't miss anything. After you set the engine back in you always want to check alingment as even a small change can cuase problems for the coupler. Hope this was thorough enough, it is defenitly somehting that you can do yourself if youa are mechanicaly inclnied.
damn, I think I'm gonna pull for fun now!! Fix it if it ain't broke!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't want to drop the lap top looking at that....
Attached Thumbnails How difficult is it to pull a motor?-motor-out.jpg  
Old 10-20-2005, 09:44 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great post hillbilly. Very informative.

I plan to pull mine for up grades in the early spring or next fall. Like custon29 I've never pulled a boat engine either, but want to do it myself. I crawled around under the hatch to check things out, and as mentioned it does not look like it would be all that difficult. But is intimidating to the 1st timer.

Your post is very helpful. Thanks
Old 10-20-2005, 10:19 PM
Registered

Thanks, Downtown! I suck at pics!

I'm pulling both motors out this weekend to install new oiling systems including new oil coolers, hoses, adapters, etc. to try and get my oil pressure up and temp lower. I'm also going to fix some wiring that slows down engine removal (I hate having to disconnect the power wires from the starter). Better pics to follow..

Quick Reply: How difficult is it to pull a motor?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.