carburator builders >

carburator builders

Notices

carburator builders

Old 10-20-2005, 07:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carburator builders

I know alot of you guys recommended Nickerson to redo my carburators, but was wondering if any of you guys heard of The Carburator Shop in California. Holley recommended them and they seem to be alot more reasonable than nickersons, Just looking if anyone has any good luck with them to modify carburators for blow through application for a Procharger set up
Old 10-20-2005, 09:34 PM
Registered

Default Re: carburator builders

I do not know the Carb shop or Nickerson. I do not have any reason to tell you to go one way or another. Now the but, why spend less money with someone else, put them in your boat & find out they still do not work. I do know that OSO has a lot of people on here that deal & work with boats. I have just about read every tech thread on motors with prochargers. I know you are frustrated with your motors but why continue it. Send them to Nickerson. If your motors do not run right after spending the money at least you will know the carbs are not the problem. I do not think I have ever read a thread where they had to do major changes to the carb after tehy goit it back. I want to say most installed on boat, check plugs & then started boating.

I for 2 years fought the procharger / carb jetting problem. I solved it by going with FAST efi. Sending your carbs to Nickerson is far cheaper then efi, but it is your money. Sorry for the rant.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:46 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good advice in MHO
Old 10-20-2005, 10:17 PM
Registered

[QUOTE=Turbojack]I do not know the Carb shop or Nickerson. I do not have any reason to tell you to go one way or another. Now the but, why spend less money with someone else, put them in your boat & find out they still do not work. QUOTE]

Because we need other suppliers or we would all have the same merc engines with the same carbs and the same boats and the same everything. And, If we didnt have alternative suppliers, the prices would continue to rise with no control. Its called free trade. No competition, no control. You are making a big leap assuming that no one can do his carbs justice except nickerson. Nothing against Nickerson either.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:54 PM
Registered

I don't think he's assuming that no one else can do the carbs correctly. I think what he's saying is that it is widely accepted on the board that Nickerson is a slam dunk when it comes to the carbs. The other shop may very well be just as capable. He doesn't know (neither do I for that matter).

I would tend to agree with him in this instance. It sounds as though electrical1 is having some major issues and wants them solved. If it were you, and you were at your wits end, would you send your carbs to a shop that is well known in this community for doing a good job, or would you try to save a few dollars by using a shop that isn't very well known here? It might work out, it might not.

It can be a gamble to try someone new. I know that I don't have unlimited funds, and I doubt e1 would want to pay to do it twice if the other shop didn't have the marine experience necessary.

I'm all for having a wider pool of respected suppliers to choose from. But, for my money, I'd go with someone I knew would do the job right the first time. I'll let others take the chance and tell me how it went.

Sorry for the long post!
Old 10-21-2005, 07:06 AM
Registered

Good point, I stand corrected. Personally, My finances push me towards trial and error which usually ends up costing more. Oh well.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:29 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a modified Q-Jet from The Carb Shop about 3 years ago. It was for a street car, not a boat.
It ran flawlessly right out of the box.
The price was great.
The Carb Shop is highly regarded in the "Hot Rod" world, not sure how they would do in a marine application.
I understand about the money thing. I don`t make 6 figures like a lot of the guys on here. I am forced to shop for the best deal.
GOOD LUCK !
Old 10-21-2005, 07:59 AM
Registered

I had a carb shop Q-jet on a street car as well. Never did run right. A $200 Edelbrock 600 carb did better than the $500 Q-jet with a $250 carb shop rebuild.

What's a Nickerson carb tune cost anyway?
Old 10-21-2005, 10:11 AM
ali
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Carb shop on both my sons truck and two of the last cruiser motors that I've done. Lots of miles and hours on all three. Perfect is all I can say.
There shop is local and a well known legend on the west coast!!!! If you get a chance you should stop buy, the place looks like a lab for Nasa. Very nice folks to.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:41 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not break'n yer ballzz formula31 because I agree with you that competition is good. And it's needed.

I've read a few of elec1's threads and posts. Sounds like he's getting the run around, and maybe screwed $$ wise as well. WTF....he spent 50K to have his engines rebuilt, Procharged and a bunch of other stuff....and the builder isn't taking care of the carb problems?!?! That's BS.

Myself needing the "engine for dumbies" book, I feel his pain. When I needed my carb done I sent it to Nickerson's. Came back about bolt on perfect....the BS was over with just like that.

Quick Reply: carburator builders

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.