Trailer brakes question >

Trailer brakes question

Notices

Trailer brakes question

Old 10-25-2005, 07:43 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer brakes question

I am rebuilding my complete brake system in my trailer. It is an 89 and I dont think it has ever been redone. I have allready replaced the master cylinder. I am having a hard time getting the drums off. It is a tandem trailer with brakes on one axle. It has bearing buddy's on it. I have done automotive drums before, but these are different. Is there a trick to getting the drums off, or should I just keep beating on them? Thanks for any info.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:06 AM
Registered

Default Re: Trailer brakes question

The several trailers I've had with drums just come right off after removing the pin, nut, washer and bearing.... not sure what else might be holding them on there....
Old 10-25-2005, 08:19 AM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like ECB said , could be something else holding them. Most likely is the inner bearing race is seized on the axle and the grease seal is stopping everything. Pry hard enough and the seal should pull out of the hub and the drum come off leaving the inner bearing and seal behind. Getting a seized bearing off is whole story in itself. The only other thing that would hold it would be the adjustment of the brake shoes , but you should feel the drag when you turn the drum and since they are spring mounted like auto brakes you should also feel them spring back after pulling on the drum.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:20 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

You might be able to back off on the adjustment wheel. I had a hard time getting my drums off the last time too. Same brakes since '89? WOW! I replaced my entire brake assemblies 3 or 4 years ago and they are shot. I think I am switching to disk this time.

Anybody care to comment on disk brakes?
Old 10-25-2005, 08:26 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The drums are probalby deeply grooved so even though they spin freely they will not slide off. Just back the adjusters all the way down if they aren't locked up too then pull the drum for all your worth with whatever kins cheeter bar you have around. If you do wind up having a seized bearing it's not that bad to get off. First you want to cut it almost all the way through with a cut off wheel, don't go all the way though, you don't want to score the spindle if you can help it. Then just use a chisel and a hammer and split it the rest of the way. You may have to cut it in several places and knock one piece off at a time if it stuck good.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:52 AM
Registered

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will be back on it tonight.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:13 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

My hubs and drums come off in one piece. I have to remove the wheel bearings to pull the drums. Try that.

What trailer? Aluminum EZ-Loader with tandem axle torsion bar suspension and two wheel hydraulic surge brakes.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Iggy
My hubs and drums come off in one piece. I have to remove the wheel bearings to pull the drums. Try that.

What trailer? Aluminum EZ-Loader with tandem axle torsion bar suspension and two wheel hydraulic surge brakes.
All boat trailers are that way, I have never seen one with floating drums. It is good that you brought it up though, He said he has done automotive brakes which do commonly use floating drums.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:46 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dave M
You might be able to back off on the adjustment wheel. I had a hard time getting my drums off the last time too. Same brakes since '89? WOW! I replaced my entire brake assemblies 3 or 4 years ago and they are shot. I think I am switching to disk this time.

Anybody care to comment on disk brakes?
I switched to disc brakes on the front axle, this is a surge brake setup. I love it, you barely feel the trailer come forward when you hit the brakes.

Cost was around $300 an axle I think.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:58 PM
Registered

DaveM,

Disc brakes, torsion springs, only way to go if you do any salting....

Had them on my last two trailers and loved them, so easy to hose off as nothing is hidden to rust. I'm actually considering changing trailers so I can get back to something that I can put in salt.... I've got a steel trailer with drums and would rather not salt it....

Quick Reply: Trailer brakes question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.