What Cam Do I Need? >

What Cam Do I Need?

Notices

What Cam Do I Need?

Old 10-26-2005, 10:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What Cam Do I Need?

DOC I have a isky cam with the merlin 310 heads 9/5 to 1 comp BG CARB dart intake 509 cu I made 600hp at 5050 rpms, 647hp at 5800 rpms tq 627 at 4800rpms the CAM I went over and over with them ,because the last cam my builder picked out sucked only made 545hp at 5200rpms didn't idle worth **** 110 lc new one has 114 lc if you want specs I WILL LOOK IT UP FOR YOU! ART
Old 10-26-2005, 11:56 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock Holiday
YES

I have seen a 2-3 MPH increase from boats that had them removed and put on the transom below the water line.

Thanks for the info on the cams.

I wonder if this is slowing me down . Its a tru hull and has a 45/bevel so its resesed.Its flush with the bottom but it still has a opening about 1/2inch . What ya think????

Rob
Attached Thumbnails What Cam Do I Need?-prop-9-7-04-001.jpg  

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 10-27-2005, 07:14 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
I wonder if this is slowing me down . Its a tru hull and has a 45/bevel so its resesed.Its flush with the bottom but it still has a opening about 1/2inch . What ya think????

Rob
no it is out of the water at 100
Old 10-27-2005, 07:21 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388

Rob
Strip, you have the right kind. I have one of those stupid clam shell types that sticks down 1-1/2 inch!

One buddy replaced his clam shell type with what you have with very good results on a 33 Outlaw.

My plan is to just mount it on the transom.

You are good!

Dock
Attached Thumbnails What Cam Do I Need?-picture-063-custom-.jpg  
Old 10-27-2005, 07:43 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by obrien99
You're kidding right? You are saying that Crane and Comp are using 20 year old tech? and that they only have catalog cams for old designs? When was the last time you read the Crane catalog? 1980?

Totally agree. I wonder why these companies spend millions every year on R&D if they're not going to change anything? But hey, 600-820" motors were commonplace 25yrs ago I guess.

I have run both custom grinds and shelf grinds in different applications and have no complaints about either. Its all about what you're looking for, how much you want to spend, how long you want to wait, and if every ounce of power is important to you in a pleasure boat. The more unique the engine and combo the more a custom is probably needed. The more "tried and true" engine size and combo, the less.
A custom grind should make more power in either application, otherwise why bother. The real question is wether 5-10hp (in many cases with tried and true combo's) matters to you.

Comps solid roller ramps are also tough on vavletrain and that was a custom grind as well. This wasn't their fault, I wanted to get more aggressive than the custom Erson I had and it worked. Picked up 40HP and 20 ft/# on the dyno in 632" NA pump gas motor (not garden variety motor)......Didn't move the needle in the boat at all and broke a new lifter after 6hrs. Erson cam lasted 50hrs before changing out lifters. Ported and polished Dart 360 heads and tunnel ram. Comp was 280/288 @.050 .782/.760" on 115 CL. Erson was 272/278 @.050 .772/.750" on 114 CL.

Last edited by jdnca1; 10-27-2005 at 07:54 AM.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:09 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock Holiday
Strip, you have the right kind. I have one of those stupid clam shell types that sticks down 1-1/2 inch!

One buddy replaced his clam shell type with what you have with very good results on a 33 Outlaw.

My plan is to just mount it on the transom.

You are good!

Dock
Dock I guess they use that style so you can use it while running???

Good I didnt want to have to lighten up my load of beer to ajust for the speed loss

Mike your probaly right its probaly out of the water

Rob

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:57 PM
Registered

Re: What Cam Do I Need?

DOC thats factory water pick ups?? don't you have bravo's? with built in pick ups in the drive? do you get better water pressure with the transom pick up? no more Questioners
Old 10-28-2005, 09:19 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Doc,
How are you?? Been a while.. and yes.. take that bump off the bottom!! Should see a 10 mph gain at least! Tell me they are not right in line with your prop center line??? Of course as big as that bump is.. it could be keeping water from hitting the props at anything over 60mph.. LOL.

I have no idea on your cam. But bigger is better until things break or you run out of flow, thats what they tell me... *S*

Let me know when you make enough power to break those drives and I will fix you up!! Take care my friend.. just had to jump in here to razz you a bit..

Dick
Old 10-28-2005, 09:37 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr Gadgets
Hey Doc,
How are you?? Been a while.. and yes.. take that bump off the bottom!! Should see a 10 mph gain at least! Tell me they are not right in line with your prop center line??? Of course as big as that bump is.. it could be keeping water from hitting the props at anything over 60mph.. LOL.

I have no idea on your cam. But bigger is better until things break or you run out of flow, thats what they tell me... *S*

Let me know when you make enough power to break those drives and I will fix you up!! Take care my friend.. just had to jump in here to razz you a bit..

Dick
Hey Dick,

How's it going up there buddy? As for the cam I'm going to keep it simple and stay with the Crane 741. Nothing would make me happier to make so much power that the drives would be popping, but I would have to sell you more bearings to afford the drive repairs!

That brass A/C fitting is a joke. I knew from day one it was costing me speed, but could not really tell how much until I spun the props in. The fitting is almost exactly inline with the port drive. I could not get the port engine to hook up at all spinning the props in. I was going to relocate in entirely to the transom, but I like what Rob has pictured there with the Hustler. I may just replace it with the flush style. What are your thoughts on that?

When you going to head South for a visit?

Dock
Old 10-28-2005, 05:59 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It depends if the pickup causes any turbulence or causes air bubbles in the water stream in front of the prop. Best way to check it would be ride on the swim platform while the wife drives the boat wot... and see if you get and white water in front of the bullet...
Or just move it to the back and out of line with the prop!! Then you have a reasonable idea that it is getting clean water!!

As for the trip, well I would love to have a boat that runs. This motor is still giving me greif, maybe in the spring??? Oh yeah thats when everyone wants their drive done.. hmmmm !! Hey everyone.. send me your drives early so we all can head south in the spring to boat.. and see Doc!!

Dick

Quick Reply: What Cam Do I Need?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.