Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Peach Fuzz on Bravox1 drain plug magnet?? >

Peach Fuzz on Bravox1 drain plug magnet??

Notices

Peach Fuzz on Bravox1 drain plug magnet??

Old 11-04-2005, 11:39 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Peach Fuzz on Bravox1 drain plug magnet??

I ran the Redline Heavy for two 50 hour changes (B-1, 600hp)
No problems whatsover, and magnet had almost nothing on it.

Put m-1 75-90 in at last change because my Redline didn't show. Will look at magnet when changing here soon.

It does seem that I am seeing about 100rpm more with the M-1 when comparing the two. Could redline be that sticky?

The Redline takes forevvveeerr to drain and can be messy, but it seems to be the ultimate gearlube.

Always ran the M-1 gearlube in our racecars and no problem there either.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:58 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

EASY WAY TO SOLVE THIS ISSUE CALL MERCURY RACING AND ASK THEM, simple physics roller bearings need a small amout of friction to turn and cone clutches need friction to grab not saying im 100% right but been building drives for 25 years and I wont use it.....it is a great lube in motors
Old 11-04-2005, 09:34 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rage
Kidnova,

What lower unit lube do you use in your ?Bravo1? What hp / boat weight are you running? I have NO problem changing the lubes as often as appropriate to maximize life/durability.

Thanks for the input!

I use the Merc High Performance gear lube. I believe it is a pure synthetic, but can't swear to that. It goes in a Bravo 1. Engine is 500 hp ZZ502. Boat is a Wellcraft 23 Nova that weighs +,-4000 lbs. Heavy little sucker, not very efficient hull so it take some hp to get it moving fast. Does 70-73 depending on temp, humidity, chop. Mostly cruising but does get run hard from time to time.

Guess I'm a little nutty about changing the engine and out drive fluids, but I've never had a problem with either.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:25 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by GOODT
I havent seen anything in writing for red line as for noise the cone clutch does not make noise but you will notice slow shifting as for flat spots ect you will notice the drive overheating drive resovoir overflowing ect if you read the bottle it says 0 friction not good for drives, great for motors.
GOODT,

Was the "drive overheating drive resovoir overflowing" woth Redline Heavy Shock Proof Synthetic Gear Lube? If not what synthetic gear lube was it?

Thanks!
Old 11-07-2005, 08:46 AM
Registered

Thats if the bearing have flat spots which will cause the drive to overheat which will cause the bottle to overflow flat spot cause heat (heat causes expansion) bottle overflows
Old 11-07-2005, 09:05 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by GOODT
Thats if the bearing have flat spots which will cause the drive to overheat which will cause the bottle to overflow flat spot cause heat (heat causes expansion) bottle overflows
GOODT,

I understand.

What was the brand/make of synthetic gear lube in the drive when it experienced the over heat and the resulting over flow?
Old 11-07-2005, 01:33 PM
Registered

none inparticular that will happen with any lube or liquid have seen it many times usually after someone brings me there boat with a blown drive
Old 11-09-2005, 05:07 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had good luck with Royal Purple. It may not be better, but from experience it doesnt seem to be any worse..
If you see any fuzz, that means the bearings are seeing it also.. Change it more often..
Old 11-09-2005, 10:23 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Mr Gadgets
I have had good luck with Royal Purple. It may not be better, but from experience it doesnt seem to be any worse..
If you see any fuzz, that means the bearings are seeing it also.. Change it more often..
Mr Gadgets,

Thanks for the change interval rule of thumb.

What is Royal Purple?

What are your thoughts regarding issue of the drive "bearings flat spotting" because of the synthetics are too slick and as a result "the bearings are not rotating"?

What is your thoughts regarding the issue of the drive "fricton cone not working properly" because of the synthetics are too slick?
Old 11-09-2005, 10:49 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

And they used to say thing about synthetic oil in motors with roller cams. Not enough friction and the rollers don't turn....

I dunno, it's a crap shoot!

Quick Reply: Peach Fuzz on Bravox1 drain plug magnet??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.