Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
how do you get a stuck rubber hub out of a prop? >

how do you get a stuck rubber hub out of a prop?

Notices

how do you get a stuck rubber hub out of a prop?

Old 11-08-2005, 09:06 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: how do you get a stuck rubber hub out of a prop?

Originally Posted by Mbam
I think you will find it is not a Flo-Torque
It has the 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" square opening, bravo 1 26p prop.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:55 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a square rubber hub that is made for the Flo Torque 2 props. Sounds like that's what you have.
In this case I would suggest using a press to push the hub out. This should take care of it.

Matt
Old 11-08-2005, 01:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would warm the prop in an oven then use a press as Matt said.
Don't try to beat it out.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Mbam
I think you will find it is not a Flo-Torque
Here are some pics.
Attached Thumbnails how do you get a stuck rubber hub out of a prop?-img_0343.jpg   how do you get a stuck rubber hub out of a prop?-img_0342.jpg  
Old 11-09-2005, 06:39 AM
Registered

What you have here is the Michigan Wheel version of Mercury's Flo Torque 2 hub system. It has an aluminum center with a hard rubber outer bonded to it.

Is shouldn't be hard to get out, set the prop on a hard surface with the forward end of the prop facing down. Use the same socket you used to get the prop nut off, put it in the hole on the top (aft end) of the prop and hit it with a hammer a couple times and the insert should release. You can also use the aft adapter instead of the socket, just misalign the slots of the aft adapter with the insert and give it a couple good whacks.

You shouldn't have any problems, if you do put some heat on the prop, this will soften the rubber and the insert should slide right out.

Matt
Old 11-09-2005, 09:57 AM
Registered

Get a solid stainless one from Bam. No more Idling home. The cheap insert cannot handle alot of torque. BBB
Old 11-09-2005, 10:03 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Big Block Billy
Get a solid stainless one from Bam. No more Idling home. The cheap insert cannot handle alot of torque. BBB
Ive got the solids, just trying to get this one out to put em in
Old 05-13-2012, 01:00 PM
Registered

This was a looooong time ago hope y'all are still around? Or if not I'd welcome other folks input here. I had the same situation as Bajarunner, replacing prop post a BBlades tune up and thought I'd replace the hub as well. I actually shredded one a couple of years ago heading into a dock and a little too much throttle in reverse. I was actually happy the breakable one was there. A couple of questions: 1) post the incident with the dock I bought two of these. I remember them both being Mercury products. The one I'm taking out looks to be the same design as Bajarunners, plastic wrapped around an aluminum insert. Did Mercury make these too? I wonder if it handles the torque better than the all plastic one I'm replacing it with? 2) I've had people tell me the my 496HO could break this hub and to replace it with the solid type mentioned. If I had done that and had that same reversing issue at a dock wouldn't it have hurt something in the drive itself?
Old 05-13-2012, 02:12 PM
Registered

Default Answered one of my questions...

Originally Posted by XX14
This was a looooong time ago hope y'all are still around? Or if not I'd welcome other folks input here. I had the same situation as Bajarunner, replacing prop post a BBlades tune up and thought I'd replace the hub as well. I actually shredded one a couple of years ago heading into a dock and a little too much throttle in reverse. I was actually happy the breakable one was there. A couple of questions: 1) post the incident with the dock I bought two of these. I remember them both being Mercury products. The one I'm taking out looks to be the same design as Bajarunners, plastic wrapped around an aluminum insert. Did Mercury make these too? I wonder if it handles the torque better than the all plastic one I'm replacing it with? 2) I've had people tell me the my 496HO could break this hub and to replace it with the solid type mentioned. If I had done that and had that same reversing issue at a dock wouldn't it have hurt something in the drive itself?
After going outside to torque the prop I realized that the Michigan Wheel hub came in a hub replacement kit and it said Michigan Wheel on it. I replaced it with the Torque Flo II. I am still curious about the merits of the solid hub vs. protection of the plastic? I haven't broken one in about a year and a half.
Old 09-07-2016, 05:39 PM
Registered

Default Need help changing hubs on a Rouge prop

I could use some help I have a OMC Rouge s steel prop 4 blade (763966 ) it has a solid rubber hub inside and a 13 spline insert. I need to change the hub to fit my Alpha 1 Gen 2 sterndrive my prop shaft is a 15 spline that I need to change over too.I do have a 2004 BayLiner 175 with a Mer Cruiser 3.0 135 hp engine. Is there a hub kit that is available and that will work on this propeller. I'm getting mixed messages saying its changeable and some saying its not exchangeable. I do have a mechanic that will remove the old hub and put a new one in for me he has a 50 ton press. I need to know where I can get a replacement hub if it's available and if it's actually a hub that is changeable. I would appreciate any help you can offer with this issue. Thank you all in advance for reading my post and for any advice you can offer me.. Thanks again.

Last edited by Dead_goldstar; 09-07-2016 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Spelled word wrong