Bathtub Or Is There Hope? >

Bathtub Or Is There Hope?

Notices

Bathtub Or Is There Hope?

Old 11-16-2005, 03:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bathtub Or Is There Hope?

I own a 1987 Four Winns 21' Liberator w/stock 350Mag/Alpha and thru transom exhaust. Now I realize this aint in the same league as Cigs, Fountains, etc. etc. etc. but I really do like the boat. Very generous with Teak trim, ample headroom in cabin (for a cuddy) and has worked out well for us for several years. It is in excellent shape inside/outside and hull is straight. I plan to go thru the engine (stroker per forum advice) and drive this winter. Does anyone have any information on this boat/hull/model? Is this a decent hull? I'm thinking Four Winns screwed a low profile deck on a cruiser hull and called it a peformance boat. I can't seem to find much info on this model, can anyone help out? Opinions?Thanks.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:36 PM
Registered

Default Re: Bathtub Or Is There Hope?

I have an 88 211 Liberator with a 383 stroker and the Cobra drive.
I've heard differing opinions on this, but I don't think it's a cruiser hull. I've seen the cruiser version side by side with mine (in the boat yard), and there are differences. My boat is currently doing 60 mph with a 21" prop and a lousy cam that I'll be changing this winter. It handles rough water pretty well for a boat it's size (it's heavy), and it likes to get a lot of air.
As far as info goes, go to the Fourwinns site, and go into the archives. You'll be able to download the sales brochures, and the spec sheets all in color. I'm surprised you're having trouble finding info on it. It was a very popular boat. Ask the guys on the board about how much power you can put through that Alpha before you start breaking stuff. If you need any more info about the boat, let me know. I'll tell you what I can.

Paul
Old 11-17-2005, 07:36 AM
Registered

Paul, thanks for the info. To clarify a little, I do have some info on the boat but only basic stuff aka sales brochure. I would like a little more tech stuff such as any boat tests that were done etc., or to find a Liberator "nut" that has history etc. I want to upgrade as you did with a 383 and am shooting for the 60's. How much of a difference did the motor upgrade make for you?
Old 11-17-2005, 07:55 AM
Registered

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

My first boat wasa 87 or 88 201.....what a great boat.......IMO on the bigger 21s you should really go with a Big Block.......heck, mine shoulda' really had a big block........there are SO many great deals out there in the OSO classifieds and such for a single engine you should give it a serious look.....hey! what people list these engines for and what they'll take are two completly different things!!.......again just an opinion...........it should be law that every manufacture put a self draining cooler in front of the passenger seat!!!!
Old 11-17-2005, 10:28 AM
Registered

I agree with your big block observation, this is one of the few necessaties I own with a small block. But I think before I'd go to the hassle of swapping this out (exhaust, Alpha to Bravo etc.) I'd go with a different boat altogether. The cooler is a nice feature!
Old 11-17-2005, 12:25 PM
Registered

The big block is a great idea, and it was an option in this boat. I almost put one in mine, but it's a lot of extra weight, and at the time a lot of extra cost that I couldn't justify. With the 383, the boat feels completely different. Like a boat half it's weight. I was amazed at the acceleration, and how agile the boat felt with the upgrade. You won't be disappointed.
How are you planning on building your new engine?
As far as articles go, I looked around myself and didn't find much. I heard there was a published boat test in one of the mags way back when, but I haven't been able to find it yet. Check with Fourwinns, they might be able to tell you when it came out. Before they were bought out, I had spoken with someone over there who sent me a copy of the original owner's manual. It's nothing special though, it's a generic manual that was supplied with all the boats. I think it has a wiring diagram in it though.

Paul
Old 11-17-2005, 01:55 PM
Registered

I'm not sure about the engine build yet, still researching and certainly open to ideas?? What specs did you go with? I suppose the cam is the biggest issue. I have the Alpha curse so have to keep that in mind. I think these will handle about 300hp? Torque is probably more of an issue and am hoping there won't be an issue with the 383. We use the boat for water skiing, and I do like hole shots. I've read on this forum about 300hp+ being run through Alpha's but very carefully, like starting in gear, no hole shots etc. Don't think I want something that fragile. Would rather power down a little on the motor and run synthetic w/drive shower - try to nurse it along. Would really prefer to upgrade to a Bravo but can't justify the cash outlay.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:26 PM
Registered

I'm not a Chevy guy, so bear with me. What advantage does a 383 have over using a SB 400? I would think that if you wanted to stay small block, but still get as much umph as possible, you want to put together a 400. I have known tons of guys who love the 383 combo, but I am just a disciple of the more cubic inches religion I guess.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:34 PM
Registered

The biggest issue is availability. They haven't made the 400 small block in years. The 383 is becoming a dime a dozen. I think I saw Kmart selling them!!! I'll give you the specs of my engine. It's not too crazy. I'm using the Cobra drive, which handles more power than the alpha. When I waterski or tube, I change props to get people up faster, and take the load off the drive. As far as cams go, I'll be posting a question about that soon. I'll be changing mine, and I have two cams I'm looking at.

Paul
Old 11-17-2005, 09:27 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A good friend of mine had a 1984 20' Liberator for 3years and then sold it to my cousin who has been running it for 4 years. Great little boat! It handles rough water and does fly well over cruiser wakes...
It is power by a stock 260 HP/350 (its 3rd one) and alpha drive (its 2nd).
Pulls skiers well and tops out at about 50mph.
There is a fellow at my marina that has a 21 powered by a 460 Ford and Cobra drive. He claims the boat does 55...
I would stick to the small block, especially if it's got an alpha drive. My guess is that 400HP would get you well into the 60s...

Quick Reply: Bathtub Or Is There Hope?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.