Notices

Air Dock???

Old 11-17-2005, 01:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Dock???

I have a 39 foot cigarette that I want to get a lift for. Air dock is a lift that uses air bladders to raise and lower the boat. Anyone have any insight on this type of lift for this size boat.
thanks
Old 11-17-2005, 07:07 PM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: Air Dock???

I've been looking for lifts too. I don't know where you are located, but in Michigan, we get that crap called winter. So, all floating docks really need to be removed each fall. So I'm leaning towards a Davit Master or something similar. The downside of that is you need to pay big bucks to have a special barge come by and drive the piles in.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:36 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My Buddy Duane (iamfaster) Has One For His 38 Scarab. Pm Him He Will Give You All The Info
Old 11-17-2005, 09:34 PM
Registered

Happy with my air dock, very simple system (once properly installed) however does have some drawbacks.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:54 AM
Registered

What do you see as the downsides? I boat in Lake erie. Have a deeded dock but am not allowed to drive pilings.
Thanks
Jeremy
Old 11-18-2005, 10:47 PM
Registered

Can be punctured. I pulled boat up to far and speedo pick-up went through air chamber as i was inflating. (although very easy to fix with supplied repair kit.) I have a 2-3 ft tide drop and have lines on far side tied-off to poles with makeshift rollers around the line and poles. They can get hung up and stress the o-rings where the line is attached to the Air Dock. The other side is directly attached to my floating dock and additional poles. Another mis-hap (at night) was when I pulled off the dock too soon before completely deflated and pulled out 4 of the o-rings. I did fix them next day no problem. Also, the dock can collect alot of stuff(sea weed, horseshoe crabs, and bottom silt) when its left down while away with the boat.(the silt will stain the bottom of your boat because it gets trapped between the air dock and the bottom.) It just floats in with the incoming tide. (you obviously wont have as severe of a problem). I have left the dock in for two summers including winters. The bottom was painted with rubber inflatable bottom paint, but has many Barnicals that will need to be cleaned in the spring. Should probably be removed for winter but I manage to keep ice broken up around and solid ice has not damaged it at all as long as the lines do not get frozen into the ice, they will pull on the o-rings and most likely break them. I only have 2 1/2 feet under boat at low tide and I can get on and off no problem. When inflated my drives are completely out of water. Also the airdock is much more forgiving and supportive than a Hydrohoist type of dock.The set up is most important. I changed mine around a couple times till I got it correct. The owner of Air Dock is helpful in setting up and ordering the proper model. You will probably need the frame kit or you may be able to tie off to bouys? Call me if have questions. Cell 516-658-1361

good luck,

Duane
Old 11-18-2005, 11:24 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by berman58
What do you see as the downsides? I boat in Lake erie. Have a deeded dock but am not allowed to drive pilings.
Thanks
Jeremy
How deep is the water where you're at? Do you have a sea wall?