Billet drive caps good or bad?

Notices

Billet drive caps good or bad?

Old 11-23-2005, 02:15 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Billet drive caps good or bad?

A few months after I purchased my boat (used boat) the starboard drive failed. It was determined that the stock cap failed at the bearing mount and sent shrapnel through the drive destroying it.

I replaced the stock caps with the billet type. This year the starboard drive failed again. This time a tooth broke off the top gear and almost blew the whole drive off the gimble.The billet cap held together although it was damaged beyond use.

The person that rebuilt my drive told me that I was lucky that the drive didn't break off altogether causing the boat to sink. Either way, the drives were destroyed but by using the billet caps am I removing a mechanical fuse? Breaking a drive is bad enough but sinking would really suck.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:52 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Billet drive caps good or bad?

Originally Posted by Quiet Storm
A few months after I purchased my boat (used boat) the starboard drive failed. It was determined that the stock cap failed at the bearing mount and sent shrapnel through the drive destroying it.

I replaced the stock caps with the billet type. This year the starboard drive failed again. This time a tooth broke off the top gear and almost blew the whole drive off the gimble.The billet cap held together although it was damaged beyond use.

The person that rebuilt my drive told me that I was lucky that the drive didn't break off altogether causing the boat to sink. Either way, the drives were destroyed but by using the billet caps am I removing a mechanical fuse? Breaking a drive is bad enough but sinking would really suck.
I have gone through exactly what you have and now I am a believer in the billet top caps. The first drive for me to fail was the port drive with 150 hours and the top cap failed and like you said sent metal from top to bottom. Fortunately for me it was warrantied completely by Mercury. I then bought 2 expensive billet top caps and put them on myself and shortly after had an upper gear set on the starboard drive fail, but nothing as bad as you had.

I learned the hard way that you cannot just bolt a new cap on, that it has to be shimmed and set up properly.

My guess off hand is that it was not set up right. But that is a guess.

I strongly believe you need the billet top caps, especially on the drive running backwards all the time, and it MUST be set up properly by someone that knows their drives.

Talk to Dick Tryce, AKA "Mr. Gadgets". He can really give you some good information.

The stronger you build them the better, the SETUP is critical.

Good luck

Last edited by Dock Holiday; 11-23-2005 at 04:55 PM.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:31 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

I agree. Billet caps are great but must be installed correctly. I just finished rebuilding my XR/ Imco SC. MrGadgets helped me along with some advice on this one. But, I did all the work myself.

Thanks again MrGadgets
Old 11-23-2005, 11:20 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Thanks for the advise Dock and 454. The reason the second starboard broke was because I tend to stay in the sticks a little too long,,,sometimes,,,maybe The guy that installed the caps knew what he was doing. I'm sure that they were on right.

Now that the extended warranty is up on the boat, I have to learning how to drive better and build the drives stronger to handle those special moments.

I met Dick at a party and it didn't take long to realize he knew his stuff about drives. I have the ability to check clearances for a cap but expert knowledge is needed when determining what setup is right for my boat. I'll call him. I'm sure he can tell me who makes the best caps and how to set them up.

I hope to get through next season without breaking these drives and then go after something different. Maybe by then we will have a good plan. Maybe by then I can save enough money.

This winter the blowers get the attention.