Notices

Raylar BCK103 Kit Intstall Question

Old 11-24-2005, 10:43 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raylar BCK103 Kit Intstall Question

Ray,
Some have said that you need to drop the crank case pan a little to be able to install the cam that is part of your kit for the 496HO. Is that the case?

Does the cam timing chain cover require removal to install the cam or can it be rotated around the harmonic balancer out of the way for the cam install?

Thanks!
Old 11-24-2005, 10:44 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Default Re: Raylar BCK103 Kit Intstall Question

Ray,
Forgot to mention mine is a 2005 496HO.
Old 11-25-2005, 01:22 AM
Registered

It would help to drop the pan a little. I did manage to remove the timing cover without dropping the pan but I don't recommend it. I pulled the balancer and to remove the cover to make sure I didn't damage anything.
Old 11-25-2005, 07:35 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by TieRod
It would help to drop the pan a little. I did manage to remove the timing cover without dropping the pan but I don't recommend it. I pulled the balancer and to remove the cover to make sure I didn't damage anything.
TieRod,
How do you reseal the CC pan gasket so no leaks?
Old 11-26-2005, 07:14 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Smile Re: Raylar BCK103 Kit Intstall Question

RAGE:
Pull the balancer, losen the timing cover, pull it out slilightly at the top and then pry it out lightly at the two bottom edges, it comes out fairly easy. When re-installing, use a light coat of gray RTV after cleaning the silicone reusable gaskets, then put a dab of RTV at the bottom corners and over the pan to cover seal, reinsert the cover and tighten. We have seen no leaks doing this carefully after many installs.

Ray @ Raylar
Old 11-26-2005, 09:17 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

dont drop the pan or it will leak and you'll have to yank the engine to r&r the pan to reseal it
Old 12-07-2005, 11:07 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Raylar
RAGE:
Pull the balancer, losen the timing cover, pull it out slilightly at the top and then pry it out lightly at the two bottom edges, it comes out fairly easy. When re-installing, use a light coat of gray RTV after cleaning the silicone reusable gaskets, then put a dab of RTV at the bottom corners and over the pan to cover seal, reinsert the cover and tighten. We have seen no leaks doing this carefully after many installs.

Ray @ Raylar
Ray,

Thanks again for the invaluable insight!

What hp increase does your BP103 cam contribute to your BCK103 package and/or to the stock 496HO?

Thanks!
Old 12-08-2005, 11:22 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ray?
Old 12-10-2005, 02:28 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool Re: Raylar BCK103 Kit Intstall Question

Rage: You ask a lot of questions, you must either be a competitor or a boater with a 496 who is going to overload on info and end up confusing the hell out of himself? Our BP103 cam contributes greatly to the performance of our 103 kit. It will not do much of anything resonable for a stock 496. You have got to remember the system approach. the stock iron cylinder heads don't flow air worth a damn and the stock intake manifold is right behind them in efficiency. We have success with this motor an especially our 103 kit because we use the system approach to make sure the heads, cam and manifold are working in concert to raise the volumetric efficiency of the stock motor drastically. Thats where the power and torque come from. Don't try to piece meal changes to your stock 496, you will spend more time and money and end up trying to re-invent the wheel with less than optimum results. What ever you do, TAKE A SYSTEMS APPROACH!!

Best Regards,

Ray @ Raylar
Old 12-11-2005, 08:33 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Raylar
Rage: You ask a lot of questions, you must either be a competitor or a boater with a 496 who is going to overload on info and end up confusing the hell out of himself? Our BP103 cam contributes greatly to the performance of our 103 kit. It will not do much of anything resonable for a stock 496. You have got to remember the system approach. the stock iron cylinder heads don't flow air worth a damn and the stock intake manifold is right behind them in efficiency. We have success with this motor an especially our 103 kit because we use the system approach to make sure the heads, cam and manifold are working in concert to raise the volumetric efficiency of the stock motor drastically. Thats where the power and torque come from. Don't try to piece meal changes to your stock 496, you will spend more time and money and end up trying to re-invent the wheel with less than optimum results. What ever you do, TAKE A SYSTEMS APPROACH!!

Best Regards,

Ray @ Raylar
Ray,

Sorry for all the questions. I tend to be obsessive about DIY projects I am working on. Sounds like I wore out my welcome which was not my desire. I am a mechanical engineer (brakes not engines) by trade and disposition and as most engineers I have a need to understand thoroughly before I pull the trigger on a major design change. This is especially true for my new baby, 2005 Nordic Rage with 496HO. If you look at my other threads you will notice similar threads on the drive unit, X factor, drive spacer, props, fuel filters, oils, exhausts, A/F ratios, etc.

As we discussed before I am not yet in a position to spring for your total package. I am seriously contemplating doing the cam and heads, and maybe roller rockers now and do the intake at a later date. I will definately be doing something since the motor is already appart except for the cam. I am in the process of cleaning up and opening up the stock intake manifold runners to match the stock gasket now. When I get a new intake manifold, it was a fun project, and for now it is ready to be installed for next season.

By the way you are not alone. I have been similarily barrageing a couple of other sources of a ~525hp upgrade on their approach and evaluating their pros and cons as well.

I am still very interested in the horsepower increase from your 103 cam in a stock 496HO and with your 103 heads alone.

I do appreciate your time and help.

Best regards,

Bill

Quick Reply: Raylar BCK103 Kit Intstall Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.