Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Extension box & X-dimension question 28 Daytona? >

Extension box & X-dimension question 28 Daytona?

Notices

Extension box & X-dimension question 28 Daytona?

Old 11-30-2005, 10:21 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Extension box & X-dimension question 28 Daytona?

Originally Posted by pstorti
I think boxes make it easier to get on plane but I don't think they give you any speed, at least not on a 28 Daytona. Did you end up getting P5X's?

If you go up an inch on the drives you should be about 5 mph faster.
I got the 29p P5X's and they work great. I gained roughly 4 mph at 3500 rpm. The big thing is that they plane the boat easily without playing the sticks like with the bravo I's.

What's all involved in bringing the drives up another inch? I've looked into the Imco 1" shorties. Is it just a swap or how does it work? You planning on doing anything to your 28?
Old 11-30-2005, 10:41 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You have to buy the parts to change your drives into shorties, or you can buy a shorty lower from Imco and have them installed in place of your regular lowers. Either way its not cheap. If you could find someone who wanted regular XR's and had 1" shorties to trade you could do that but then you don't know the history.

I'm glad the P5x's worked out for you I'm real happy with mine. You don't have enough room out there to open the boat up?

Remember when we talked about the prochargers, I was thinking about it but then I just decided it would be to much of a pain in the butt. A lot of work to install on both motors and on one of them there would have been a clearance problem, and after talking with the Procharger people about dialing them in it seems like to much trial and error messing around with fuel pressure to get them running right.

I figured all said and done the boat would run 105 max after all that big deal. Besides I'm planning on getting a Nortech with 1150's next so it doesn't really matter if my current boat does 90 or 105 when the new one will do 155.

I also think mine will be easier to resell unmodified.

How about you any other plans for the boat?
Old 11-30-2005, 11:00 PM
Registered

You're right about the pro chargers, I've heard their a pain. 36 NorTech with 1150's, wow! You're not mess'in around, are ya! Hope you can get insurance ok. As far as doing anything to my 28, I still don't know. I just want to do something simple without tearing into the motors. Maybe the shorties or something just to improve efficiency, it's hard to beat the turn key reliability with what I have. More or less, I really enjoy the boat just the way it is... No Nortechs in the plans for me.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:17 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gsmith9898
that is the problem I'm having. It bogs down when loaded. I thought maybe I was too deep in the water. will a 2"shortie help?
Yes, it will help and you will proably gain some top end too. A cheaper solution might be to fiddle with your props. One of the newer Merc PVS props would help. These are the ones with the holes in the hub. You swap out different sized rubber plugs to dial in the slippage. You can also have the prop customized so it doesn't grab as hard when planing. A good prop tuner can do this so you won't lose any top end.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:07 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Cord
Yes, it will help and you will proably gain some top end too. A cheaper solution might be to fiddle with your props. One of the newer Merc PVS props would help. These are the ones with the holes in the hub. You swap out different sized rubber plugs to dial in the slippage. You can also have the prop customized so it doesn't grab as hard when planing. A good prop tuner can do this so you won't lose any top end.
I have messed with the prop. Brett at blades tried a 26 with a special labbing and I lost top end and cruise but still could not get on plane. Now I'm running a 24 bravo labbed and my rpms are perfect but I still bog down when loaded. If I have 5 people in the boat, I have to have at least one person go the the front to plane. This is a 26 daytona with the 525efi.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:13 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by gsmith9898
I have messed with the prop. Brett at blades tried a 26 with a special labbing and I lost top end and cruise but still could not get on plane. Now I'm running a 24 bravo labbed and my rpms are perfect but I still bog down when loaded. If I have 5 people in the boat, I have to have at least one person go the the front to plane. This is a 26 daytona with the 525efi.
For all it's worth you must try a 5 blade prop! The Bravo's suck getting them on plane. I went to the P5X's on my 28 and the thing popped right up on plane without playing the throttles. So let's see?? You will plane out easily, gain mid-range significantly and should stay close to your current top speed. That's a no brainer...
Old 12-05-2005, 02:12 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried a number of diffeent labbed bravos on my twin 496 28 daytona and they all performed worse than stock bravos on my boat. The top end was the same more rpm but no more speed they just slipped more, and they were worse out of the hole. With the Hydromotive P5x's 29" the boat gets on plane much better is faster in the midrange and the same top end as with 30" bravos. Don't waste your money on labbed props all they do is slip more and if you happen to hit something you'll lose a blade, regular props can be easily repaired.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:05 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Harper220
For all it's worth you must try a 5 blade prop! The Bravo's suck getting them on plane. I went to the P5X's on my 28 and the thing popped right up on plane without playing the throttles. So let's see?? You will plane out easily, gain mid-range significantly and should stay close to your current top speed. That's a no brainer...
Have you guys tried these with full fuel and a few people,how did it feel planeing out?
Old 12-05-2005, 07:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by blownboat
Have you guys tried these with full fuel and a few people,how did it feel planeing out?
Full fuel, 6 people, full of coolers, full of gear and still night and day difference compared to the Bravo's. Of course it will take a bit longer to roll over, but absolutely no prop slippage or messing with the throttles. This has been my experience with the Hydromotive P5X's.