Lightning vs. CMI question? >

Lightning vs. CMI question?

Notices

Lightning vs. CMI question?

Old 11-30-2005, 01:18 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lightning vs. CMI question?

CMI has introduced their new sport tube headers for the 496's at $3600 a set. They claim a 60 hp increase. I see that Lightning also has a tube header system for the 496's starting at $1799 a set for the black finish. Does anybody know how much hp can be gained with the Lightnings? If it's anywhere near what the cmi's claim, then I would steer towards the Lightnings due to the huge price difference. Can anyone shed some light on this?
Old 11-30-2005, 07:14 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Lightning vs. CMI question?

what are the id's and tube lengths of one vs the other?
Old 11-30-2005, 09:59 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ratman
what are the id's and tube lengths of one vs the other?
I'm not certain.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:21 AM
Registered

From the Lightning Web Site:

Our Standard Magnum fresh water header starts with mandrel bent 2" OD,1 7/8" ID 316 L stainless steel interior tubes. The exterior tubes are mandrel bent heavy wall 2 1/2" OD steel.

CMI are Stainless steel. Inside and out. They are offerd as a complete kit with tail pipes, stainless steel distribution tube upgrade, and ALL relocation brackets and hardware.

Quality doesn't come without a cost and CMI chooses not to offer headers made of mild steel.

Last edited by TRICK; 11-30-2005 at 10:25 AM.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:35 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by TRICK

Our Standard Magnum fresh water header starts with mandrel bent 2" OD,1 7/8" ID 316 L stainless steel interior tubes. The exterior tubes are mandrel bent heavy wall 2 1/2" OD steel.

CMI are Stainless steel. Inside and out. They are offerd as a complete kit with tail pipes, stainless steel distribution tube upgrade, and ALL relocation brackets and hardware.

Quality doesn't come without a cost and CMI chooses not to offer headers made of mild steel.
Yes, CMI is top notch "you get what you pay for". I was just curious about the hp gains with the Lightnings vs. the cmi's? I'm not necessarily going for the looks rather the gains and you're paying big for the looks of the cmi's not to mention substantial gains.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:37 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by TRICK

Lightning also makes fully stainless headers...for a slightly higher price!!! I had a set on my bullet, they worked very well for me. 5" collectors and had a great sound!!
Attached Thumbnails Lightning vs. CMI question?-bullet-502s.jpg  

Last edited by OldSchool; 11-30-2005 at 10:39 AM.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:41 AM
TC
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to start off by saying that I have never used a CMI system but.....I have used Lightnings. I believe the Lightnings to be the best bang for the buck. The only draw back in my opinion would be that If you were using them in salt water you could have a corrosion problem before you might with the CMI's. I had a set for 5yrs and had no problems or complaints with them at all. I drained them after every weekend and now a friend has them. Upon removal I inspected them and pressure tested them and they were fine. I am now on my second set. I have the Lightning dry pipes now due to cam selection upon a rebuild.

As I'm sure you are aware, the Lightnings have stainless steel primaries and steel outers. From what I understand for the last few years the steel inners are etched and coated (possibly powdercoated) to resist corrosion. The all stainless Lightnings, CMI's and others are pricey but they are beautiful, strong works of art also.

As ratman said, I would study close the tube diameter and tube length.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:56 AM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

A little OT but did CMI ever make a manifold type exhaust????.......Im speaking to a guy in Ohio that says he has two sets of small block CMI manifolds.......I said......."are you sure they're not EMI???"......he says No, CMI......
Old 11-30-2005, 11:01 AM
Registered

Never been in salt water and most likely never will. Still curious about hp gains with the Lightnings and ease of installation? Anybody?
Old 11-30-2005, 11:46 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would suggest you call Jan at Lightning Ph (951) 678-5631. He's always happy to talk to folks and will tell you what he knows. He's a good ol' boy so you won't get any marketing BS from him. You might want to call Joey Griffith 252.946.1883. He's done some dyno work with Lightnings

Quick Reply: Lightning vs. CMI question?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.