Notices

Which blower?

Old 12-06-2005, 08:57 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Re: Which blower?

Originally Posted by tomcat
jryan26:

Here's some interesting data. I had an M1 equipped 454 on the dyno at Nickerson's a few years ago. It made 575 HP, then we removed the 1" tall brass flame arrestor inside the carb box and made 650 HP. But without the flame arrestor smoothing out the 100+ mph air entering the carb box the pulls were not smooth, the fuel numbers were jumping around. Then we swapped the intercooler and carb box for an Rtech supercooler and made 740 HP. The blower pulley was not changed for any of these tests, neither was jetting or timing.

The same M1 setup was then put on a 502 in a 250 Baja. Procharger stuff went 77 mph; Rtech supercooler went 85 mph. On the 502, which had better heads and more cam, we figure that little M1 was putting out 800 HP! Blower discharge temps were high and blower efficiency calculated out to only 60%, but these "sins" were covered up by the big supercooler. The owner has been FLOGGING this boat for two summers now and cannot break the engine. The key is cool air, properly calibrated carb, and increased capacity in oiling, cooling and fuel supply. So far his XR drive is surviving.

With the Rtech supercooler and a larger, more efficient Vortech blower Nickerson has dynoed 1000 HP on pump gas. That's his personal 496 stroker boat engine.

You can buy the Rtech system and make 800 HP on your engines. Your drives will not be happy. I know the original question was how to make 650 HP but that's not going to keep you happy for long. Good luck.

Tom
The boat that Tom is talking about lives at my dock and I can tell you first hand that this combination works incredibly well. I've spent many hours flogging this boat like it was a rental car. It accelerates like a CR500.

Kurt
Old 12-06-2005, 09:03 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Which blower?

Originally Posted by Steve Zuckerman
jryan:
I have run both, and don't recommend either for reasons I would rather not go into here. I don't like bashing products, even if it's warranted.
I would get a blower shop 250. They have addressed the problems with B&M 250.
You will prefer the low end torque, looks, and sound of the Roots blower. Only drawback is vertical clearance.
I would add intercoolers if it's in your budget. With intercoolers, you should get real close to 700HP with pump gas.
I've got a 575SC with intercooler, reprogrammed ECU, 7PSI boost, and it's making 750HP reliably on pump gas. I had the blower shop rebuild my blower, and I'm pleased with the work.
Regards,
Steve

Steve's giving you good practical advice from an end user who has experience with multiple set ups.